Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lack of power

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
Just cleaned the throttle body and IAC... took it for a drive and had no real noticeable change. The problem is obviously not something so simple.

As for the injectors, is there any point replacing them, considering I'm running it on gas? I might just have to put up with it until I get a new car, which isn't any time soon. At least it's reliable, gets me around and cheap on gas. Can't really complain, just wanted it to drive the way it used to.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I was thinking maybe its your fuel pump, but you are running a gas system. My car (on petrol) had lost power, would not go. Anyway, I got a few suggestions and I found out my fuel pump wasn't functioning properly, I listened to it aswell, and it was making all kinds of dodgy noises, after replacing the pump I had my normal power back. Just my thought.

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
I was thinking maybe its your fuel pump, but you are running a gas system. My car (on petrol) had lost power, would not go. Anyway, I got a few suggestions and I found out my fuel pump wasn't functioning properly, I listened to it aswell, and it was making all kinds of dodgy noises, after replacing the pump I had my normal power back. Just my thought.

Thanks mate, I might think about replacing it with the next service. See if it makes an improvement on petrol at all. Then I'd at least be able to switch it over to petrol when ever I wanted that extra bit of power, and use gas for the economy. Now when I run it on petrol there is barely any difference from gas.

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
How about your compression? might b worth getting that checked.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
what kind of wierd noises was your fuel pump making, if I put my head near the fuel tank while my car is running I can hear the pump buzzing away, is that a problem, sounds consistant sooo?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
is it a sortof gurgling noise the pump is making, if it is that would be the fuel comming back through the return and blowing through the petrol in the tank

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
what kind of wierd noises was your fuel pump making, if I put my head near the fuel tank while my car is running I can hear the pump buzzing away, is that a problem, sounds consistant sooo?

Ye, I know the buzzing sound, mine wasn't doing it constantly, sometimes you couldn't hear it at all. Now with the new pump, I have that constant buzzing sound.

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Black Vz R8 HSV Clubsport 297kw Gen IV M6
i reckon, when u firsts tarted driving the car being the first time u drove, u were like ohh so fast!!!...and now that you drive it regulary and are used to it.....ur used to the power now and it has made it seem slow!, its like anything else once u get something u want better...

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
[VP2NV];601102 said:
i reckon, when u firsts tarted driving the car being the first time u drove, u were like ohh so fast!!!...and now that you drive it regulary and are used to it.....ur used to the power now and it has made it seem slow!, its like anything else once u get something u want better...

Nah, like I mentioned before... I used to be able to plant my foot off the line and get wheel spin quite easily. It was responsive and had heaps more bottom end power than it does now. If I plant my foot now, it takes off slowly and can't even get a chirp. Not that I want to do burnouts, can't afford the tyres! But it's just an example of the difference in power from what it had before.

Jon Z said:
How about your compression? might b worth getting that checked.

How do I get that checked? Is it a simple task for a general mechanic? And how much would I be looking at spending to have it fixed? Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I really don't know a hell of a lot about cars. Doing my best to learn though, i want my car running well!

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bumping this because I'd like an answer.

How much would I be looking at spending to have the compression checked and fixed if need be?