Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lacklustre bass after IQ Upgrade

adam_s95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega '07
I've just completed a head unit upgrade on my '07 Omega, using the head unit from a series II SS ute (not sure exact model/year). I have installed Alpine SPR-60C splits in the front left and front right speakers, and before the head unit upgrade everything sounded great. However, since the upgrade there has been almost no bass in the system. There is almost no discernible difference between having the head unit EQ set at -12 and +12 bass. I have just checked today and confirmed that both sets of speakers are wired with the correct polarity (so the speakers are in phase). This head unit did come from a ute, so the rear speakers are not active, but I did not think that this changed anything for the front speakers.

Has anyone on here had experience with this, and if so do you know how to fix it?

VPFreak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I think this is just how the IQ system is. I also did an upgrade to the IQ from the standard VE (SV6) headunit and noticed with the standard speakers that it just has no bass really at all.

I think your only real option is to add an amp to drive the speakers a bit harder.

adclawrence

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Calais 3.6
I agree with VPFreak.

Unfortunately the iQ system isn't that great with sound unless amped. My dad has a 2013 VEII SV6 sedan and the sound is pathetic. Cranking the bass up to +12, you get distortion instead of bass. :(

Meanwhile my VE1 Calais has the Blaupunkt head unit and it's punchy as. But strangely enough, the Astra I had before the Calais had the best factory sound out of any car I've owned.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I've just completed a head unit upgrade on my '07 Omega, using the head unit from a series II SS ute (not sure exact model/year). I have installed Alpine SPR-60C splits in the front left and front right speakers, and before the head unit upgrade everything sounded great. However, since the upgrade there has been almost no bass in the system. There is almost no discernible difference between having the head unit EQ set at -12 and +12 bass. I have just checked today and confirmed that both sets of speakers are wired with the correct polarity (so the speakers are in phase). This head unit did come from a ute, so the rear speakers are not active, but I did not think that this changed anything for the front speakers.

Has anyone on here had experience with this, and if so do you know how to fix it?
I had the same problem when i replaced my 4 speakers . I installed a 4 channel amp which really punches out the bass

adam_s95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega '07
Thanks for all your help with this everyone. I've installed and amp which has fixed the problem, and I thought I'd just post my experiences with this in case it helps anyone with the same problem.

I've installed a 4 channel amp, currently only using 2 channels for FL and FR, but planning to put some speakers into the rear parcel shelf for some extra fill/backseat passengers. I've also put a Clarion EQS755 in my glovebox to get some proper EQ control, as the inbuilt IQ EQ is basically useless (at least in my unit). The difference even using a cheap test amp is night and day when compared with no amp. One thing to note is that you'll probably need to make MDF spacers for your speakers if you put in aftermarket speakers and an amp, as when I installed them on the stock mounts they buzzed during heavy bass as they travelled just enough to contact the door.

Another thing to note is that if you're running your speaker signal to an amp in the boot, do not run it down the left side of the car. There is a power cable here (possibly the thick orange cable?), and you'll pick up some power noise. I ran the signal up the centre of the car, under the carpet in the back seat, and this worked perfectly. Speaker signal wires I ran up the sides of the car with no issues. Finally, my IQ head unit seems to have a hiss on its speaker level outputs, which becomes quite noticeable when amplifying the signal. It doesn't sound like a grounding issue, but I'm going to reground the head unit this weekend to check this. Just something to be aware of.

Also, does anyone know if Phreddy or anyone else still does RCA out mods for IQ head units? I've emailed [email protected] but got no response, and the his account here and Facebook page seem unused too.