Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lagging automatic gear change

scotty bmx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
so i recently bought a automatic 99 vt wagon and i've come to notice that it lags when changing up and down gears. when going up a hill or in a straight line through town, it will hold its revs and where it feels as though it should change gear, it will still rev for a second or 2 and then change gears. when i put my foot down to shift up a gear it takes a few seconds for it to actually do so. when the car is turned on, it takes a bit of force for me to change gear out of park. so much so that you can hear the car heavily clonk when pulling it out.
i dont know if this is just how vt's are or how their auto transmissions are as i have drove a manual my whole life but when i drive, i feel as though the gear change is lagging. any tips on what to change/clean with how to would be awesome thanks!!

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
These gearboxes are very sensitive to engine tune.Probably due for a service but it's very likely that a new set of plugs and leads and possibly a coil pack will help considerably.If the clunk still seems excessive then check your gearbox and engine mounts.Good luck

scotty bmx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
thanks, ill give it a service and let you all know how it goes

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
you in power or economy mode?

they lag a bit in economy mode. Also what are you comparing it to?

scotty bmx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
just eco mode, i forgot i had a power mode... didnt think it made much of a difference when i used it last

i was compairing it to my ae92 toyota corolla manual. as i said, ive only drove manual so my rev changing point might be different to the standard automatic gear box

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
just eco mode, i forgot i had a power mode... didnt think it made much of a difference when i used it last

i was compairing it to my ae92 toyota corolla manual. as i said, ive only drove manual so my rev changing point might be different to the standard automatic gear box

How do you compare the shifts between a manual car and an auto?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
bit extra weight of the wagon will make the already soft shifting auto even sloppier. Get a tune done, liven the whole car up a bit. check your transmission oil level as well, make sure the oil is a bright looking red, if it's black/brown or dull red it's time for a service.