Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Late model SV6 Tuning

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
OK...back from a trip to see Dale @ CHE today. Thanks to the fellas there who did a nice neat job on the extractors. Unfortunately I can't really provide you all with much data as we had some issues with the Auto SIDI. Only data I have was done in second gear as the Auto SIDI won't hold gear in 3rd or 4th (even in manual mode) as it auto shifts up a gear at about 6000RPM. This made getting data a tad tricky so runs were done in 2nd which left the peak RWKW down on paper at only 136.1RWKW with CAI and Extractors and then 160.9RWKW after tune uploaded. This was a peak RWKW gain 24.6 but in some parts of the rev range as much as 30RWKW gains can be seen on the graph although around 25 seems to be consistent across the whole rev range. Dale reckons if he could of run it in 4th properly it probably would of seen 185ish as he did manage to get one 4th gear run, prior to the tune upload, that shifted just under 6000rpm that read 170RWKW so if you then add a gain of 24RWKW post tune then 185RWKW is easily on the cards. Gotta say it is running extremely well and will do some more driving in it tomorrow but am a tad dissappointed about not being able to get clean runs with clear data. On a side note it did 8.4L/100km @ 110km/h average on the way home. Oh and an N/A XR6 ute pulled 164RWKW just before me.

Last edited:

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
what fear is 1:1 on the new 6 speeds do they have 2 overdrives or 1? also why does it shift at 6000 rpm aren't they meant to have a 6500rpm?

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375

Dale@CHE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS, VT SS
i think ill have to get the auto software done :( #### knows why they wont hold gears in the sports mode.. 1 pull it would change up gears at 5000rpm next pull 6000rpm..

ill get onto that in the next month or so..

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ratios are here http://media.gm.com/content/media/a...ile.res/MY 2010 Range Product Information.pdf but essentialy 5 and 6 are overdrives. Auto seems to change at around 6300ish I reckon?! Also when on the dyno an ABS error popped up on dash but is fine off the dyno this may have had an effect on changes + I'm running a 3.7 diff so speedo is still out of whack which may also have an effect on changes?!

All cars with abs bring up abs errors on the dash when on the dyno mate. it's cause the front wheels aren't turning when Dale hits the brakes at the end of a run the abs module thinks the front brakes have locked up cause there no wheel movement? don't know if thats right but thats what i always assumed.my VE did it my VY does and i'll bet the VZ will as well.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
i think ill have to get the auto software done :( #### knows why they wont hold gears in the sports mode.. 1 pull it would change up gears at 5000rpm next pull 6000rpm..

ill get onto that in the next month or so..

have all the other SIDI been manuals, you've tuned a few 3litres they didn't do the same thing?

Reason i ask is cause could it be his 3.7 diff causing the issues?

Last edited:

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
Oh and an N/A XR6 ute pulled 164RWKW just before me.

Just on that, was that a BA BF or FG? But I would be happy with the first outcome regardless, I have been following this thread for awhile now and to see some promising gains I would love to go this way somewhere down the track. What will intrest me is when a otr is available for the sidi.. If 185rwkw is being achieved with a cai we should see high 190rwkw maybe?

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Just on that, was that a BA BF or FG? But I would be happy with the first outcome regardless, I have been following this thread for awhile now and to see some promising gains I would love to go this way somewhere down the track. What will intrest me is when a otr is available for the sidi.. If 185rwkw is being achieved with a cai we should see high 190rwkw maybe?

Not sure what model...looked reasonably late though. 185RWKW was with CAI and headers (sounds sweet YouTube - SIDI after extractors and tune ) but I still think it might of run higher with just those changes (eternal optimist). Anyway will do some driving in it today and see how it goes. All the boys in blue are at the nats so they'll be busy over there :). Should of seen them yesterday coming back from Sydney. There were 4 cops cars operating on a 30km stretch of road..pulling over every P plater they could find was funny as. Took a photo of the standard engine pipes as per below....sheesh restrictive looking or what.

Attachments

• xmas 2010 and tune 025.jpg
    xmas 2010 and tune 025.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Bit of a late reply but yes VCM have seriously let the alloytech slip away..... EFI live are working on SIDI stuff.....

"apparently" VCM will be focusing on the Bosch ECU's after their dodge stuff is done ....... but who knows how long that'll take. All I know about SIDI is looking at the various G6's and stuff from America if the SIDI tune looks like that....... dont think i'll be tuning it myself, the new computer in the sidi's look like the v8's really..... complicated.

We needs us a Dale up here in Brisbane for alloytech tuning :D

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride

mate the stock air box to CAI on a 6litre VE SS is only worth about 8rwkws why would that same airbox be restricting a 3.6l V6 more. i know there was some muppet on here claiming he gained 16rwkws or some rubbish from a growler on his SIDI. but if you apply logic it doesn't make sense. on my old sv6 the airhammer was the best intake i tested. and i gained 4.8rwkws on Dale's dyno over stock airbox with k&n panel filter. so probably about 5.8rwkws over a completely stock airbox. you are looking at about the same gain on an SIDI.