Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Latest on "Z" Series Ute audio upgrade,

Dad's Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Series 2 "Z" Series Ute
Hi guys,
Finally had the system installed in my Ute.

Hertz HDP4 1000W 4 Channel Amp.
Hertz 500W es 250D subbies.
Hertz HSK 250W Splits.
Heavy duty wiring to suit.
Dyna Matt.

Full credit to No Limit Electronics in South Melbourne.

The install took 2 full days. I dropped it off on the Monday late. I'd left something in the car that I needed so I called by on the Tuesday before lunch.

Most of the interior was already removed. Basically all that was remaining inside was the top of the dash and steering wheel. The IQ unit was also to be removed as they wire directly into the back of it.

The subbies are installed flush into the "B" Pillar behind the seats. No boxes. Full sound deadening in the doors as well as the rear panel between the back of the seats and the tub.

Sounds great now. Cost $2,600. I just have to have the flush metal grills installed on the subs. They'll do that for me one Saturday soon. They didn't have the grills in stock when the work was done.

I'd recommend No Limit. City Road Sth Melbourne.

HUX 90

POSION VE SS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS UTE
Sounds good. Post some photos of the install if you could.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Yeah mate put some pics up. Good to hear you found a viable upgrade for your ute, I'll do mine when I get the cash.

I take it those subs are free air? Or did they make up a sealed enclosure in the pillar?

Dad's Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah mate put some pics up. Good to hear you found a viable upgrade for your ute, I'll do mine when I get the cash.

I take it those subs are free air? Or did they make up a sealed enclosure in the pillar?

Hey guys there's not much to gain by posting pics but I'd be happy to if you want. The install is so inconspicuous there's really nothing to see!

The subbies are flush mounted in behind the seats about mid way down the "B" Pillar. They'd be free air. You'd never know they were there unless I told you. The guys at No Limit were telling me that Alpine have a filter out at the moment that will "equalize" the sound out of your IPod. Have you noticed how some MP3's really kick and some sound bland?

Also................I had a rattle develop after the install and a small issue with the passenger side central locking post the install. too.

When I had the grills installed last Saturday I'd mentioned these issues to the installers the week before. Mark from No Limit was in behind the passenger door card in 30 seconds to repair the central locking problem. I'm not exaggerating either.

He knew exactly what it was (the cable was not pushed home and the outer was moving instead of the inner). He fixed that in 2 minutes and was all apologetic.

Whilst Mark was doing that the other installer already had one subby grill in for me.

With the rattle they spent a considerable amount of time on it. We kept going for drives and removing dash parts and trying again. They were adamant they would not let me leave until they solved what the rattle was.

It turned out to be the redundant factory plug on the tweeter that was the culprit. He got up in through the air vent and fastened it.

Also...............the subby grills don't rattle either, even when it's pumping. I'm very happy with No Limit.

Dad's Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just another thing folks............

I have the EQ on the IQ system set on "Rock". I've tried various other settings but that sounds best. I also have the "Loudness" function disabled. If anybody I know asks to hear the new system I always enable the Loudness function on the IQ as it makes it really kick.

On my IPod I leave the "Loudness" function enabled. I also have the EQ on my IPod set on "Rock". Again I've tried many variations but this sounds best.

I don't like to fiddle with it as I'm a set and forget type person.

Having said that there are about 500 songs currently on the IPod I am using. Of those there are about 10 songs that sound far too crisp through the splits. It's not the sound that I like and I am sure I could dial it out if I choose to. I just bear it and play those songs a little down on volume.

I always select the songs I play when I demonstrate the system. I select a song that starts quietly and then kicks in with a bang. It always gets the same reaction from the listeners.

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
Great work mate! You've got me thinking stereo upgrade is a good idea now :)