Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[ACT] laws on p plates

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I did a lot of ringing around with this one. Im from sa and wanted to drive to vic on my p's with the caprice. basically over here the coppers were saying yea its fine you have an sa license all good. but the vic coppers were saying nah as soon as you cross that border your license conditions turn into ours. I ended up not going because my insurance company said that I wouldn't be covered (if something happen) because legally once you enter the other state/territory you must abide by their license conditions.

Man you were given the wrong info by vic coppers (they probably just said it cause we don't like them and they know it [victorians i mean]).

You drive to your license conditions. If your a p plater (or i guess red p plater now) in SA, restricted to 100, you drive at 100. You still have to abide by their road rules, but you just have to stick to the conditions of YOUR license.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Stealthy is right.. I know someone on ACT Ps who was pulled over in NSW for doing 110 on the highway (cop thought it was a NSW regod car). The cop realised they were an ACT driver with ACT rego and set them on their way.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Stealthy that makes sense mate :thumbsup:
it is stupid though, say your on your L's and you can do the posted ACT speed limit, you go for a drive it NSW and you have to go 80, that doesnt make any sense
so i guess this thread has been answered?
and maxxiz if i was you i would go 110 or the posted limit in NSW and you shouldnt get fined, i think it would also depend on what sort of day the copper had?
cheers everyone

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Stealthy that makes sense mate :thumbsup:
it is stupid though, say your on your L's and you can do the posted ACT speed limit, you go for a drive it NSW and you have to go 80, that doesnt make any sense
so i guess this thread has been answered?
and maxxiz if i was you i would go 110 or the posted limit in NSW and you shouldnt get fined, i think it would also depend on what sort of day the copper had?
cheers everyone

I just want to clarify, cause i'm not sure which way your saying. If your on your L's, and are restricted to 80, you drive 80, even on the open road/freeway. Sure, you'll be holding cars up, but you can easily pull over every now and then to let them pass. 80 is the Condition on your license, so the speed could say 400, and your still restricted to 80.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
uh sorry ill try restate it haha
in the ACT learner drivers are aloud to do the posted speed limit eg 100, 70 blah blah. NSW Learner drivers can't go faster then 80 whatsoever, so if i was to drive into NSW i should be able to do the posted speed limit if it exceeded 80?
:w00t:

Last edited:

SS245

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
It all comes down to the license you hold. The conditions are imposed on the license and are not location based. An ACT L's (or P's) license says you may do the speed limit, your car must not seat more than 12 and must weigh less than 4.5 tones (GVM) and bikes dont count. as long as you meet those requirements you are still legal. Same applies for motorbikes, in the act you are limited to >=150km/Tone, where as Vic you are 250cc, 9/10 times a 250cc will be less than 150kw/Tone, the exception is 250 two stokes. But that being said an ACT rider can ride almost any Harley except the V-Rod because of the weight.

Honestly i think its all a load of c**p but i dont make the rules.

Vegaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais
Yeah you follow there road rules in terms of speed ( with the exception of doing 110, if your licence only allows lets say 100).
But if you have no restriction on cars etc then you can drive it so long as your licence allows it.

aidannn

Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing
Quoted from the note i got from when i got my P plate license earlier this month.
ACT learner licence holders driving in NSW
"ACT learner drivers, when driving in NSW, are subject to the same requirements as NSW learners. Accordingly, ACT learners, when driving in NSW, must not drive a motor vehicle on a road at a speed in excess of 80km/h"

ACT provisional license holders driving in NSW
ACT provisional drivers are not subject to the lower speed limits applying to NSW provisional drivers. Therefor, ACT provisional drivers are able to drive at the posted speed limit while driving in NSW
Hope that helped

Last edited: