Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LCD television

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
+2

Another one that caught my eye was Loewe, a German brand. You can find them in David Jones I think. Very pricey but impressive. Loewe also make the LCD panels for Sharp.

You will find it's the reverse. Loewe don't make LCD panels, Sharp would make them. There are very few manufacturers who actually make the panels because the facility has to be extremely high spec. Samsung is one of the largest.

Loewe have a long history in Home theatre, but not LCD panels.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
You have to remember its not just the panel that defines the quality of the tv, the reason Sony is generally better regarded than Samsung LCDs is due to the Bravia engine. S-LCD is the name of the joint venture between Samsung and Sony that produce LCD panels, although word has it Sony are now looking for a joint venture with Sharp instead.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Samsung = fail.

They rush their products out without refining them enough. They often have "interesting" features, which don't fully work, are esoteric and incompatible with other equipment, and generally the interfaces are clunky and unfriendly. I've had a Samsung rear-projection, LCD, HDD/DVD recorder, mobile phones, they all follow this pattern.

Only thing in their favour is they are cheap.

Hahahahahaha Dude that sounds abit like Microsoft...

As for TV's we have a 106cm LG LCD. We have had it coming upto a Year now and never had a problem with it. Great features within it as well. These guys have it prity spot on... maybe do a Poll and see what comes back from that :) Then go from there.

Cheers

Mumbo Man

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I just brought a 42" Panasonic Full HD Plasma (paid $2000), think it's awesome. I've only had Plasmas because a uni student can't afford a good LCD :p I was on holiday in europe and they only use LCD's ... rarely do you see a plasma (which I thought was weird)... reason for getting Plasma over LCD was the blacks... I like my horrors etc which are mainly in blackness XD

golb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
I also just bought a Samsung 32" 4-series television. In my mind, it's the best LCD TV that's within my budget and I am very happy with it so far. Good great quality picture for a very affordable price.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Another one that caught my eye was Loewe, a German brand. You can find them in David Jones I think. Very pricey but impressive. Loewe also make the LCD panels for Sharp.

Loewe, I would steer clear. I had a loewe 70cm crt which I bought new in 1996. The power supply had a design fault(it would explode within the set, making everyone near it nearly wet themsleves), it was replaced twice under warranty and again by myself at great expense(~$300) about five years later, the next time it went, I just put it out on the nature strip . A reputable company would fix the problem and offer a recall for this. It also developed a streak line through the picture which they couldnt figure out, it wasnt the tube, it was the electronics.
I purchased it because it did have a better picture than the sony and believed all the hype about it being better because it was german etc. never again.

Ive purchased a 50in samsung plasma and a 46in samsung lcd, very happy with both, time will tell.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Pretty damn happy with our samsung lcd too but at this stage it a bit early to tell only had the thing for a month or so.

XeKToReX

Put it on credit!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL, VR Exec, VS Stato, VT Clubby #555
I have a 12mth old Samsung 40" 720p LCD, Love it! So glad I didnt waste money on Full HD for a 40" back then, my old man just bought a Samsung Full HD 40" LCD and from my viewing distance, I can't tell the difference when watching the same bluray, Both very happy with our purchases!

And everyone whos saying waste money on 200Hz.. Don't bother, Its just marketing, Images will look fluid at 50Hz and you wont notice a difference, even on blurays, who needs a screen to refresh 200 times when the image only changes 30 times.. maybe 60 Playing ya PS3 or X360..

the collector

the collector
Reaction score
Members Ride
rodeo dual cab
tv

just got a lg 47" lcd,1080 full hd 100 hz....wicked
plasmas are cheaper and for the same money you can normally go bigger.
my room is fairly large and open and with lots of external light coming in,for me no option LCD.
never had a plasma but i went to 6 retailers in adelaide and compared prices for what i needed and LCD was the winner
harvey norman and myer were the cheapest for me 3 mths ago
good luck
cheers