Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leak from engine

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
noticed this leak coming from the engine, it appears just to be water (im guessing coolant) any ideas why its leaking from here, is it bad?

thanks guys

gonzo0000-1.jpg

its leaking from where the torch is directed at.

DSCF1110.jpg

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Waterpump. Either the gasket or the bearing. In either case, the pump needs to come off. Once you have the belt and pulley off, you'll be able to see where on the pump the leak is. If it is the bearing, then you'll need to replace the pump, which is an easy task. If its the gasket, which frankly is unlikley, then you could just take the pump off and run a bead of gasket cement around it.

EDIT: On a second look, I'd say it is almost certainly the bearing seal. Time for a new waterpump buddy! Those bearings can go properly, as happened to my little brothers VP. Cracked the pump case and all.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Thanks alot mate, love it how things like this happen when im broke....

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Yep, ususal story. But if crack it out yourself, all you'll need is a new pump, and if you shop around you'll be able to get one for $80 to $100.

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
Yep mines leaking in same spot but its pouring out now ... and the pump is spining so of centre you can see the wobble ..

getting it fixed tomorrow ...

looking at $150-$190 to have replaced ...

cant be stuffed doing myself ... worried about bolts snapping ...

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
couple hours, only took me one, and if you do it yourself its about half as much

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
pump cost me $60 including postage off ebay, and it's the better brand you get from repco. first mechanical task i've ever done, took about an hour but then a lot of messing around with one of the little hoses that goes from block to pump. this is probably just a v8 thing though. best to get new hoses while you're at it if yours are old.