Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leak from oil filter

myls362

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Noticed a pool of oil underneath my VE V6 3 litre. I only had the car serviced 2 weeks ago.

Long story short it looks like it’s leaking out of the oil filter housing. The top is pristine, the bottom is a bit yellow and drips of oil at the bottom. There is only oil on the passenger side below the oil filter.

I did do a couple of full throttle accelerations on the freeway. So what I think has happened is the oil come out of the housing thread. I assume the o ring has failed or wasn’t replaced. I assume there is one.

Does this sound plausible?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Take the the oil filter off and replace the filter with a new one including the ring that comes with it.
Easy job, then check check check.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Take the the oil filter off and replace the filter with a new one including the ring that comes with it.
Easy job, then check check check.

And if you don't know how to do it, check for videos about changing V6 alloytec oil filter.

myls362

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Thanks guys. Always good getting a second opinion.
Of course today we are heading up the Murray. Got 4 litres of oil as well.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Well just take it off anyway before you go and make sure the ring is seated properly.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Dripping oil is a roadworthy failure item and a danger to road users, especially bikers. So fix the warranty issue which should take the servicing dealer all but five minutes to fix their blunder…

Going for a 4 hour drive with known oil leak also isn’t a great idea… If the small leak turns to a big leak while driving, oil can drop too far too quickly and you may cause/suffer expensive engine damage in the process. If it remains a smallish leak and you keep topping it up, you’ll have an oily mess that will need to be cleaned up… So fix the warranty issue which should take the servicing dealer all but five minutes to fix their blunder…

PS: I expect the OP has already left for the Murray already but doing so can be a real false economy and a risk to his wallet… It wouldn’t be the first car that burnt to the ground due to an oil leak, or the first car defected after police inspection because it was smoking as he was heading down the highway… Vic Pol can be harsh :p

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Did they replace the oil filter or just tighten it like they should have done in the first place?