Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking Fluid..

L

Lukie

Hey guys..

my dad owns a VTII supercharged v6 and i have noticed that it seems to be leaking a red colored fluid.. i had a closer look, and found alot of moister so to say near the bottem of the raiditator not directly underneath the raidiator but closer to the oil fliter.. as the color looks red on the garage floor i thought it could be the power steering fluid..

and also when im in his car and we are cornering or (turning the wheel) underneath my foot, in the passenger seat i can feel a tick or knock..

any ideas what this could be? (btw he had some stupid accidents latley blaims it on having to much on his mind, but he ran into the corners of concreate parking markers and punchered his tyers immidelty need to replace the tyers 250$ worth of good years.) hes done it twice about 10 months ago on the passenger side and 3 weeks ago on the drivers side) could these incidents have anything to do with the tick, click or knock i can feel on hte floor of the passenger side.

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
It could be coolant - I know you could get red ones. Is there a difference in the steering? If there isn't then I suppose you could rule out the power steering fluid.

As for the tick and knocks, NFI, sorry.

VL Executive

VY SS Ute - Just got 1!
Reaction score
Members Ride
3 VL's, VK EFi, VX S, VY SS Ute, VF SSVR Ute
The transmission oil cooler hoses could be leaking fluid at the connections on the radiator.

azzabakes

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series2
those little ruber things that sit down bottom of spring, like little washers, i forgot what they are called, there about 40$-50 fitted, i replaced my struts an springs and found mine had perished, will need to get soon,

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
yea my moneys on pump and/or hoses too.
have a look at the left side of the pump where the hoses go on, sometimes all it takes is replacing the clamps as the become loose over time, put some weight on the clamp and try to turn it to see how tight it is

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
The area the leak seems to be from has two systems that use red transmission fluid. So it could be a leak from the transmission lines to the bottom of the radiator (oil is cooled as pipe runs through radiator bottom tank). OR it could be a leak from the Power Steering pump or lines. Check your Power Steering pumps reserviour for correct level.

The knocking under you foot in the passengers side might be from the front suspension, but if it was power steering related more likely happen at close to full steering lock.

Cheers

Deek

coug

gotta love the v8
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 vx ss
i had the same problem in my vx ss not long ago, redish coloured puddles on drive way. first thought was trans fluid but took it to repairer and i had a cracked radiator, check over the parts that you can see of the radiator with a torch for splits....no more leaks for me :)

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
It is probably power steering fluid leaking from the resevoir where the bottom hose goes on. mine leaked there and it ran down the hose and covered everything down lower. Try tightening your hose clamps.
The ticking or knocking you can feel could be swaybar link bushes. It is a common fault that needs fixing every 80000Kms