Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking valley cover??

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hi there is a little orange seal looking thing that sits just above and in behind the front adapter. I can't snap a pic with removing the alternator and harness that sits in front. But I have coolant leaking from there somewhere and I don't know what it is unless I start tearing everything down. Can anyone tell me what it is and does this mean removing the valley cover to do the repair??

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
If the inlet manifold gasket leaks coolant it tends to come from around the retaining bolts or along the edge between the manifold and the rocker covers.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the inlet manifold gasket leaks coolant it tends to come from around the retaining bolts or along the edge between the manifold and the rocker covers.....

It's leaking down the passenger side somewhere. I suspect it is this orange rubber but I can not see what it is. There appears to be one on both sides of the manifold. I know for sure it is not the adapter I have replaced it with a brass one and used sealant as well and I replaced the hose and clamps only a week ago, thinking it was that. The leak is higher than where the pipe clamps onto the water pump. I cant get the harness to move far enough out of the way to see where the leak is coming from.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
have you got one of those extendable dentist mirror thingies? I find that plus a torch is handy for tracking stuff in the dark recesses of engine bays

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Only place it can be leaking from is the valley cover. I just carefully drove it up the road to a mech and he agreed it's the valley cover. It's a very common place for coolant to leak from. I need to book it in. Hopefully I get my tax done next week as it's a 4hr job. Any thoughts on whether it can be driven?? Or is it something that can blow right out and lose all my coolant, thus cooking the engine??

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Another question is it common for the manifold to leak or suck air causing the engine to run lean?? Wondering if this is causing my running lean problem because the coolant leak from the valley started a month or two before I had the lean CEL codes. But until recently the leak was very minor and is gradually getting worse.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
LIM gaskets are practically a consumable on the Emo. Do yourself a favour and get the aluminium replacement from mace and never worry about it again.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Na drove mine for 2 years weeping...pretty rare for em to suck air when gone but not impossible....also if its sucking coolant and burning it,the coolant will eventually stuff the o2 .....good luck finding a Buick metal gasket set..when I looked no one had em....Also you can nip down the LIM bolts its a risk it will make it worse but both times I did, it stopped the leak for a few years....also added stop leak as well ;) .....

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Put in some radiator pellets or stop leak if the minor leak is only a weep.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
This is an L27? Yeah then they don't exist. There's no real way to know how bad it is based on external views but keep in mind air, water and oil converge with only this gasket to prevent either oil in water, water in oil, both or either into the combustion chamber. Given they're plastic safe to say it'll look pretty awful with the manifold removed. Considering it's a pretty easy job to replace them I personally think it's not something to ignore or attempt a patch up job. Most Buicks run like new when it's done. They hold water, oil pressure is improved and they only burn fuel the way the ECU expects.