Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED Dash Lights

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
G'Day again Utester.

Well, Perth is a little far for me to travel ;) but I could supply the LEDs for you if you can find someone to do the job! (or if you're handy with a soldering iron and can work on surface mount components)

Cheerz!

GroopA

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Impulse VZ SV6
Phreddy said:
G'Day again Utester.

Well, Perth is a little far for me to travel ;) but I could supply the LEDs for you if you can find someone to do the job! (or if you're handy with a soldering iron and can work on surface mount components)

Cheerz!

I'm also from Perth and would love to see the end results of this one. When are you looking to implement? You're gonna have to make sure your digital camera has plenty of spare batteries and make sure you record your progress in a work log for us all to see :)

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
No Worries!!!!

(my digi cam has rechargables anyway!) :D

Seriously, for those not in the Sydney area I'm still happy to organise supply of the LEDs. (the reason being that - as mentioned - surface mount LEDs are notoriously difficult to find in small quantities) I'm sure I'm not the only bloke in the country who can solder surface mount! ;)

I should have some results to report in a couple days. I'll be sure to post news as soon as it comes to hand.

Cheerz!

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
OK boys and girls.

As promised, I did get the LEDs today. I got all excited and fitted them to the stereo, the results are ASTOUNDING!!

Attached is a pic to show it off - the display looks in the photo to have lost some contrast, but believe me that's just a trick of the lens. (looking at the real thing there's no problem at all)

Since there's been a moderate amount of interest, I'm going to go ahead with another order of LEDs tomorrow. The supplier still has a partial reel, with almost 300 pcs on it. (better than 1,500!!)

Enjoy! I reckon it looks pretty damned OK, but then I might be a little biased! ;)

Cheerz!

Attachments

• DSCF0057a.jpg
    DSCF0057a.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 2,606

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Thanx Ratty - I was pretty stoked actually! :D :D :D

Actually, with a little help from bdcmedia I have another update. I forgot all about the power window switches and the traction control button. Just to make things more complicated, the window switches are conventional "through-hole" rectangular LEDs, and the TC button is a standard incandescent globe! :bang:

Being that I haven't yet pulled the trip computer buttons apart, nor the headlight switch, there's a good chance that these aren't surface mount LEDs either - possibly not even LEDs at all!!!

In a way that does make things easier though, as through-hole mount LEDs are MUCH easier to come by in small quantities. I'm still well and truly happy to supply the surface mount LEDs to anyone who would like them, and would be just as happy to include the through-hole LEDs in a "kit", at least they're easy enough to get from the usual hobbyist suppliers, like Dick Smith or Jaycar etc.

Unfortunately my car isn't here at the moment (getting some hail damage fixed), but as soon as I can I'll confirm whether or not the computer buttons and headlight switch are in fact LEDs at all, and if so what type they are.

Apologies to all those who are interested for the lack of detail right at the moment, but I'll have the right info as soon as I possibly can. Thanks for your patience.

(mebbe I shoulda looked into it a bit more before I started spouting off, huh??) :hit:

Cheerz!

stockVN

Bundy.... Ur a genious!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN executive drift machine
Can this be done on the VN series 1 dash... looking at the same green lights all the time gets pretty boring

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
G'Day StockVN.

Jeez, I don't think so Mate! As far as I know the VN (and right through to VX) has standard incandescent globes for the instument lighting and light up green due to the colouring behind the panel. (in other words, the panel is made of a translucent green plastic material with the numbers and stuff silk-screened in black over the top, with red bits where they need to be) It's only the VY and VZ models that changed over to LED illumination.

It might be worthwhile trying a blue coloured filter material behind that panel, but you might end up with a "blue-green" colour rather than pure blue.

If you do give it a shot though please let us know!

Cheerz!

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey, thanks Troy!

(as a matter of interest, I grew up in Canberra!) :)

In fact, I was planning to head down there in the near future to catch up with a few friends. There's a posibility that I could bring some equipment along and do the job for you while I'm there. Something to think about??

Cheerz!