Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED lights legal or not... ANSWER

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
Fog lights
a normal halogen, white halogen, white LED are perfectly legal.

I was under the impression, these lights must have a lens and be correctly aimed to drive with them on in clear conditions and they are now called "Day Lights"! Whats the deal?

crazyfrank

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina 1994
Led lights are not legal

Led lights are not legal ,Unless the led lights were standard part of the car.So if it comes from the manufacture with led lights it sweet if not they are ilegal ,and sooner or latter the cops will Defect u ,and u have to pay $52 to remove the defect ,I was told by one cop that I could have them and my car was defected by a other cop for having led lights.
Was not happy at all ,two months a go to get the defect stick remove cost $26 dollars ,now its $52 dollar.
NOT HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!

crazyfrank

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina 1994
Led lights are not legal ,Unless the led lights were standard part of the car.So if it comes from the manufacture with led lights it sweet if not they are ilegal ,and sooner or latter the cops will Defect u ,and u have to pay $52 to remove the defect ,I was told by one cop that I could have them and my car was defected by a other cop for having led lights.
Was not happy at all ,two months a go to get the defect stick remove cost $26 dollars ,now its $52 dollar.
NOT HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
I had done my research before putting them on ;)

Going to get a 3 way switch, 1 for day time and only 50% power at night. Currently only hooked up on a normal switch.

You might find "50%ing", or dimming an array of LEDs will be somewhat difficult, could be perhaps.... impossible? :idea:

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
NOT HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!

One piece of advice in understanding the thin blue line... You will find that laws are enforced as an inverse function of your respect for them.

TGR 35S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Don't understand why people do all this fancy **** with there lights,, sooner or later u will get hassled and for what some bright annoying to others on the road, lights,, plus most of them look silly like these strips above,,

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
Parkers
White LED parkers are fine, so long as they do no emit a color other than white. it is ILLEGAL to change your parking lights to anything other than a white or yellow. This is an instant defect.
NOTE The new trend with the LED parkers like the GTS HSV's are COMPLETELY LEGAL!!!! However, the only legislation that stops drivers are that the "lights should be 'dazzling' to other drivers" (those are the words i was quoted). These lights need to be white and not draw too much attention to yourself (sort of beats the point in having them).
Simple rule: if a cop notices them because they are too bright, then u will get a ticket

Regards,
Ali

That dosn't seem right, I would have thought they should be NOT dazzling to other drivers

Dazz

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
LED lights are a distraction on the road at night, driving along and out the corner of your eye, seeing a car drive past with them usually makes you look.

lein

Comrade Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202/4sp
Daylight Running Lights (DRL) I was under the distinct impression that they were only for use during ... the day. To increase the visibility of your vehicle. It's a European thing, which apparently there is research to support them decreasing accidents. The thing being the DAY part. Once your parkers/headlights are on they should not.

That's my understanding anyway.