Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED Tail Lights...

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
ssute57l said:
I have changed all lights in my vy ss ute to LED's(except head/highbeam/fog lights), u could use a 3 watt globe to sense the earth(for cruise control and parkers on all the time) they will not get as hot as 18 or 5 watts globes, you could stash these in the boot(not resting against carpet) or behind paneling in ute. The LED's i fitted are the brightest with a wider angle available.
Check www.lazer.com.au.
I also fitted Philips crystal vision 50+ to the head/high/fog light, they have a very white light.
I also fitted LED stripes (6 in row, apprrox 30cm long) under the glove box and drivers side to shine onto the floor, these were wired up to the interior light(so they work with remote and door) and look very effective. I used white LED's but these are available in all colours.

Did you order the flasher unit from that site as well?
AUN 12 Volt Auto Relay 87x2 German 1 $4.95
AUC 12 Volt Auto Relay C/O German 1 $4.95
??

I ordered one from the states and it doesn't work.

anfsvl

VPDRIVER
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Holden Commodore VP SII EXEC
STICKY may i say u have one fine car... i have to hand it to ya bro...in 10 years time wen i have the money for one...let us kno if ur sellin her...lol i like

vaertigo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYIISS6m
Sticky said:
Naaaaaaa I prefer to stick to the cars true roots.

I have nothing against the Aussie "Holden" name being applied to General Motors car. Just prefer to show a symbol of the true roots if not just for the engine.

I could be wrong, but wasn't the VY designed by Australians?

Reaction score
anfsvl said:
STICKY may i say u have one fine car... i have to hand it to ya bro...in 10 years time wen i have the money for one...let us kno if ur sellin her...lol i like

Thanx! I'm sure in ten years time you will have found something better LOL!

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Calais VYII Gen3 5.7L V8 + Impco Sequent LPG
although this has nothing to do with the original thread subject ...

The Commodore.... originally an Aussie modified derivative of the European Opel/Vauxhall Omegas, until the VT which was heavily influenced by GM Buick (USA) that planned to import them to the USA, until their unions found out and stopped it. The old 3.8V6 was an old 1970's buick, then GenIII 5.7 V8 was an american motor, built in Canada.

And the new VE Commodore apparently has so much foreign content that holden refuses to comment on it. Sadly Globalisation has robbed us of a purely Aussie car, but at least it's still designed by Aussie engineers :king:

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
New Holdens (VE) are bs I'm sorry to say, Daiwoo bs.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Are LED lamps legal?

Back to the original thread and as always, I am being the worry wart - but what is are the current legalities of LED lights? From what I understood (and I hope I can stand corrected), LED's are not ADR approved other than the supplementary centre brake light typically found in the rear wing, some trucks and some European cars.

I understood the approval process is drawn out which has not progressed much (which is possibly why Australian vehicles still have the standard globes).

Whilst it is a fact that LED's illuminate so much quicker (which can make all the difference at 110km/h) and they last much longer than a standard globe, the "red tape" is holding them back.

Therefore if you have an accident in which someone rear-ends you, the insurance company have every right to reject your claim against the stupid prick behind you that was not watching the road (or was maybe mesmorised by the fancy brake lights.....!).

Can anyone tell me I am wrong (based on documentary evidence, not what "my mate" told me)..

Reaction score
Marks-VY said:
Back to the original thread and as always, I am being the worry wart - but what is are the current legalities of LED lights? From what I understood (and I hope I can stand corrected), LED's are not ADR approved other than the supplementary centre brake light typically found in the rear wing, some trucks and some European cars.

I understood the approval process is drawn out which has not progressed much (which is possibly why Australian vehicles still have the standard globes).

Whilst it is a fact that LED's illuminate so much quicker (which can make all the difference at 110km/h) and they last much longer than a standard globe, the "red tape" is holding them back.

Therefore if you have an accident in which someone rear-ends you, the insurance company have every right to reject your claim against the stupid prick behind you that was not watching the road (or was maybe mesmorised by the fancy brake lights.....!).

Can anyone tell me I am wrong (based on documentary evidence, not what "my mate" told me)..

All I can see for SA is:

"88—Performance of tail lights

(1) When on, a tail light of a vehicle must:

(a) show a red light visible 200 metres from the rear of the vehicle; and

(b) not use over 7 watts power.

(2) A tail light fitted to a street rod vehicle may incorporate a blue lens not over 20 millimetres in diameter.

(3) A street rod vehicle is a vehicle that has been modified for safe road use and that:

(a) has a body and frame that were built before 1949; or

(b) is a replica of a vehicle the body and frame of which were built before 1949.

89—Wiring of tail lights

A tail light of a motor vehicle must be wired to come on, and stay on, when a parking light or headlight on the vehicle is on, unless an external switch is fitted to operate the tail light."

and

"99—Performance and operation of brake lights

(1) When on, a brake light must show a red light visible 30 metres from the rear of the vehicle.

(2) A brake light fitted to a street rod vehicle may incorporate a blue lens not over 20 millimetres in diameter.

(3) A brake light fitted to a motor vehicle must come on, if it is not already on, when:

(a) for a vehicle with 4 or more wheels or built after 1974—a service brake is applied; or

(b) for another vehicle—the rear wheel brake is applied.

(4) Subrule (3) does not apply if the controls in the vehicle that start the engine are in a position that makes it impossible for the engine to operate.

(5) A brake light on a trailer must come on when:

(a) the brake light of the towing vehicle comes on; or

(b) a brake control on the towing vehicle, which independently activates the service brake on the trailer, is operated.

(6) A brake light may be operated by an engine brake, retarder, or similar device if the device does not interfere with the proper operation of the brake light.

(7) A street rod vehicle is a vehicle that has been modified for safe road use and that:

(a) has a body and frame that were built before 1949; or

(b) is a replica of a vehicle the body and frame of which were built before 1949."

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Sticky: how did you fix the fast flashing blinker problem?? you use a relay or resistors?