Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED Taillights

muggo05

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VT GTS
Hey guys,

was wondering through Jaycar today picking up some LED parkers and an LED interior light and saw some LED brake light globes.

Anyone done this to their VT/VX?? I think it could look good but at 24.95 a bulb!!! i want to make sure!!

Thanks

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Depends on if the LED's are facing in multiple directions, or facing out towards the rear only. The latter globes aren't bright enough to replace a standard bayonet because LED's throw light in one direction; hence the need for a style with LED's 360 degrees around it as well.

muggo05

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VT GTS
yeah they aren't 360' globes. there are about 15 LEDS on the globe facing straight out. the light should catch on the plastic cover and spread a bit dont you think?

M

mwb235

Hey guys,

was wondering through Jaycar today picking up some LED parkers and an LED interior light and saw some LED brake light globes.

Anyone done this to their VT/VX?? I think it could look good but at 24.95 a bulb!!! i want to make sure!!

Thanks

I've been thinking of buying a set of those for ages (they've been available from Jaycar for quite a while). The only thing that has stopped me is the bit "please note: these globes are only suitable for show or off road use only." I wonder if that's just Jaycar playing it safe covering their own arses, or if it IS actually illegal (not roadworthy) to use them. I wish i could find out for sure.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
I recently fitted a LED tail/stop, (as mentioned above), lamp to my Honda motorcycle tail light, and found it to be dissappointing as it is not as bright as the original incandescent globe. So I would not be fitting one to my Commy. There is a new 'surface mount' high intensity LED starting to come more available, I have one fitted in the tail light of another M/cycle, and that is friggin' super bright. I have seen them advertised on ebay, but I had a bloke in Holland make the one I have, as it had a special fitment.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Depends on if the LED's are facing in multiple directions, or facing out towards the rear only. The latter globes aren't bright enough to replace a standard bayonet because LED's throw light in one direction; hence the need for a style with LED's 360 degrees around it as well.

Thats correct

yeah they aren't 360' globes. there are about 15 LEDS on the globe facing straight out. the light should catch on the plastic cover and spread a bit dont you think?

No they dont work like that if u noticed in the newer cars that r coming out with the LEDs they use a difuser plate or somthing reflective that can project and throw the light further and open up the veiwing angle more. If u use just these LEDs u'll basically get a red dot in ur tail lights more so id say.

muggo05

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VT GTS
yeah fair enough, thanks for the comments guys.

I'm just obsessed with LEDS so wanted to put them on the car and give it a bit of a different look.