Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lesson Learned! Dont Make The Same Mistake I Did! Read Please!

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
ok, i learned my hard lesson about Red Oil lights.

Simply if you get a little red oil light come on in your vn, i thought it ment that low on oil, so 30kms later i decided to top it up. TOO LATE! DAMAGE WAS DONE! Bad noises started coming from the engine. Determining it Absolutely Scrwed.

THE REASON THE LIGHT COMES ON IS BECUASE THERE IS NO OIL PRESSURE. If you drive a vehicle wid no oil pressure more than 500metres you might aswell say goodbye to it, the damage wil be done.

Im currently now looking for a replacement engine for my car, *waves fist* simple ignorance cost me a new engine + installation. Its gunna suck.

So last point, if its a red light. STOP EVERYTHING! Dont just guess, get your manual out and follow its instructions.

Thanks for reading.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
ok, i learned my hard lesson about Red Oil lights.

Simply if you get a little red oil light come on in your vn, i thought it ment that low on oil, so 30kms later i decided to top it up. TOO LATE! DAMAGE WAS DONE! Bad noises started coming from the engine. Determining it Absolutely Scrwed.

THE REASON THE LIGHT COMES ON IS BECUASE THERE IS NO OIL PRESSURE. If you drive a vehicle wid no oil pressure more than 500metres you might aswell say goodbye to it, the damage wil be done.

Im currently now looking for a replacement engine for my car, *waves fist* simple ignorance cost me a new engine + installation. Its gunna suck.

So last point, if its a red light. STOP EVERYTHING! Dont just guess, get your manual out and follow its instructions.

Thanks for reading.

Bit of bad luck there mate.

Hint when you get the engine replaced - the timming cover on your old engine if not corroded would be worth a few bob.

New timming covers for a S1 VN are around $400.:thumbsup:

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Just did a trip to gympie, but before i left did the usual check of everything and turned out my oil was not even registering on the dipstick!! My oil light however was not showing but it still pays to check ect 2ltrs later and she was right as rain and ran alot smoother quiter:)

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
88GreenVN,
where exactly is the timing cover on my engine and why is worth a bit?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
88GreenVN,
where exactly is the timing cover on my engine and why is worth a bit?

Behind the water pump and they all corrode if people dont run coolant.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
i just had a look, mine looks all in order and not rusting or nything :) thanks for the tip:thumbsup:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
hard luck. may your pain save someone elses engine:p i always check my oil level on a regular basis and it never gets lower then half way between the "full" and "add" marks.

if red oil light comes on, idle engine and pull over as fast as possible then switch engine off. don't shut down the engine untill you ahve pulled over otherwise you wil loose your power assisted steering which could be dangerous.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
If you see the red light, you've got about ten seconds.
There was a problem with the Gen 3's when they first came out with oil control issues, there are stories going round about cars losing oil pressure and drivers being to slow to react and lunching engines. Even the C4B's weren't immune.
Long story short, if you lose oil pressure, you're relying on a thin film of oil to keep metal off of metal, this doesn't last long with no oil being pushed through the galleries.

Hard Luck mate, lesson learned.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
MMMM funny. My mate vp had that light on for like a week... the car still got that engine in it. Maybe different issue.