Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lifters

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
just after some info on lifters
solid verses hydrolic
pro's and cons

with solid/anti pumping how do you get oil to the top end?
im thinkin of using a more stiffer lifter when i do my cam should i?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
hydraulic lifter aremuch more of a set and forget setup, once fitted, you don't really need to do anything with them or the valve train. solid lifters on the other hand you need to set the valve backlash when installing your rockers and then would need to periodically reset that backlash to maintain your engine in good running order. the solid lifter are for a more performance oriented market as the valve lift is a more true representation of the actual cam profile where as the hydraulic lifter compresses some when the cam first lifts the follower there for it would be like having a little less duration with a hydraulic lifter. racing teams would normally check the valve to rocker lash between everyrace to maintain peak performance and output ofthere engines.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
hydraulic lifter aremuch more of a set and forget setup, once fitted, you don't really need to do anything with them or the valve train. solid lifters on the other hand you need to set the valve backlash when installing your rockers and then would need to periodically reset that backlash to maintain your engine in good running order. the solid lifter are for a more performance oriented market as the valve lift is a more true representation of the actual cam profile where as the hydraulic lifter compresses some when the cam first lifts the follower there for it would be like having a little less duration with a hydraulic lifter. racing teams would normally check the valve to rocker lash between everyrace to maintain peak performance and output ofthere engines.
I have Purchased Crane Cams 286 using Anti Pumpup Lifters ready for my rebuild... if ur after info on cost and model No: Send me a pm

Anti Pump Crane Lifters... should be good. My Mechanic Recommened this type of lifters

Engines with adjustable Rocker Arms,must not be tightend,if this occurs on the Hydraulic Lifters,the valve will hit the piston, causing bending in the valves or bending the pushrods.

Engine without non adjustable rocker arms, a preload must be maintained.

Roller Lifters Require Engine Oil and adjustment before intake installation,2nd adjustment after set in and tuned up after cam has become older and wore in.

Hydraulic Lifters require non adjustment once set with camsaft Installation.

Don't Forget Shims which decrease lifters preload 0.30. - 0.60 degrees. 0.20 being the minimum set

Lifter preload is important, the distance between the pushrod seat in the lifter and snap ring when lifter heel is closed.

Last edited:

hot308vb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs clubby project car & crappy vs v6 ute daily
beware! you cant use solid lifters on a hydraulic profile cam and vice versa as the bottom profile of the lifters varies from solid to hyd and would cause premature cam lobe failure.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
beware! you cant use solid lifters on a hydraulic profile cam and vice versa as the bottom profile of the lifters varies from solid to hyd and would cause premature cam lobe failure.
Petty much on the benchmark there,everything taking into count. The Camshaft installation selection for RPM Range,Tuning,and Compression are all factors which must not be overlooked.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
thanks for the info
now ill i need to know is whats best for this set up?
i want to put in a stage 1 or 2 crane cam and use it for daly driving

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
i'm running the 286 and anti pumpup's in my stroker..

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
The 286 must be a good cam as my old VK had 1 in it wif anti-pump ups but they were sey wrong wen i got it and it chewed a few lobes of the cam and i couldent get another one to replace it with as the shops i went to couldent find it in any books to be able to sell me one.

As a daily driver id recomend a hydraulic cam and lifter set up.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
ok i found my cam and lifters for my vn.
the lifters are wolferen made by crane and have a toughend base onthem to cope with excess lift