Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Limits of M90 supercharger

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
So just wondering how fast these M90s can be spun...? I was planning on throwing a 1 bar or 16psi ish pound pulley on and I'm wondering if this is going to kill my charger...

The blower has been ported and will have the hollowed out rotors installed ( light weight rotor pack) so that should help

Iv hear people running 19 pound pulleys but I'm a bit concerned about the longevity of a blower doing this (will be cooled obviously) anybody with experience please respond ;)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I heard there is a magic number where more boost only equals more heat and does not increase power (obviously this is where intercooling comes in)
I am guessing that yours will be a cooled set up? is your bottom end built to handle high boost? and the rest of your vehicle/engine systems?

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I heard there is a magic number where more boost only equals more heat and does not increase power (obviously this is where intercooling comes in)
I am guessing that yours will be a cooled set up? is your bottom end built to handle high boost? and the rest of your vehicle/engine systems?

Yeah will be cooled and yeah dw I got diamond forged pistons and h beam rods ;) this magic number sounds very interesting I would like to know what it is ...

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I'm just guessing, but like 12psi or 14psi or something. As in 'no sense cranking more than 12psi unless you are cooled, as you won't make any more power'
I know immortality will know the answer to this one.

Knowing that your engine is built to handle it, I now see why you worded your question like that, LOL.
Good luck mate, I'm keen to see where you get it to

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I'm just guessing, but like 12psi or 14psi or something. As in 'no sense cranking more than 12psi unless you are cooled, as you won't make any more power'

Knowing that your engine is built to handle it, I now see why you worded your question like that, LOL.

Think ill start a build thread soon shedding some light on my T56 conversion I did too :D I'm sure there's a lot of people interested in that!

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Mines turning at a calculated 33,000rpm at 6 grand , 61mm pulley and 5% overdriven balancer theoretical 21psi which reads 12psi at the manifold after cooler , my heads are also done , everyday use should be fine , I have been in skid comp with it and after 1 minute at full noise I stopped and it was very notchy and very close to seizing , unless you're entering burnouts with it then it will be fine.

Fwiw their max rating from eaton is something like 18,000rpm .....

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Mines turning at a calculated 33,000rpm at 6 grand , 61mm pulley and 5% overdriven balancer theoretical 21psi which reads 12psi at the manifold after cooler , my heads are also done , everyday use should be fine , I have been in skid comp with it and after 1 minute at full noise I stopped and it was very notchy and very close to seizing , unless you're entering burnouts with it then it will be fine.

Fwiw their max rating from eaton is something like 18,000rpm .....

So what's the size of the pulley to spin at 18,000 at 6000? I CBf to do the math lol think I might watch the video.....

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
I couldn't be bothered doing the math, but I am running a 56mm pulley with an overdrive balancer. How been spinning the hell out of it for sometime with no issues as yet.

Car spends a lot of time doing track work and sprints, so it sees prolonged periods of high rpm.

Have you drilled the crank for the manual conversion?

You will be happy with a T56, I love mine!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

TBH, I don't know that number.

You could keep putting on smaller pulleys but would need to keep pulling out more and more timing without intercooling it. Even a M90 fitted with a 10psi pulley is starting to create a decent amount of heat (I'll have some numbers for this one day), I would suggest that even @10psi, intercooling it would give you a greater gain than simply going to a smaller pulley.

I recently had an XU6 on the dyno, 14 or 15 psi pulley?, 2x MACE mini W2A coolers stacked, 1.9 rockers and TB with LS1 MAF showing approx 9psi in the manifold. We were seeing temps climbing through 70° C in the LIM (using a MAT sensor) at the end of the power runs.