Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Linux?

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
Have used mandrake, Red Hat and a few older versions. Even have a copy of UNIX somewhere with full manuals (of bible-like proportions, absolutely huge). But uni means i have to use Windows, 99% of the time :( i miss my free resources.

too much fluff in windows

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Interesting to read 'whats the best distro out there', IMHO there isn't the best, it's what fits into what you require. Desktop use or server use?

I have tried moving over to linux a number of times using the more popular flavours out there but Windows always seems to win out purely on the fact that applications are designed for it.

Instead of going through the whole dual boot rubbish I would run VM's if your not sure, you can do what you want and kill whatever you wish without the worry of screwing something up. Worst case you delete the VM and start again.

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
Couldn't find my copy of Unix to show how massive and complicated the manuals were but i did find this little treasure....

dsc05813tv9.jpg

It even says "Includes 3 1/2" disks".

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
HAHA, man, that brings back memories - QBasic was the first language I ever learnt to program in, back when I was 12.

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Interesting to read 'whats the best distro out there', IMHO there isn't the best, it's what fits into what you require. Desktop use or server use?

I have tried moving over to linux a number of times using the more popular flavours out there but Windows always seems to win out purely on the fact that applications are designed for it.

Instead of going through the whole dual boot rubbish I would run VM's if your not sure, you can do what you want and kill whatever you wish without the worry of screwing something up. Worst case you delete the VM and start again.

To be honest the only reason I'm going to switch back to windows is for torrents. My legal torrents are just too slow under linux. If it wasn't such an old computer I'd run windows under VMware just for utorrent.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
virtual computers for the win!!!!!

aZk.

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
To be honest the only reason I'm going to switch back to windows is for torrents. My legal torrents are just too slow under linux. If it wasn't such an old computer I'd run windows under VMware just for utorrent.

ktorrent runs torrents faster then utorrent for me, is your linux torrents setup right?

Mr Squiggle

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rocket
I used Debian Linux and was 100% windows free from 1998 to 2005, I have no need for a hardcore operating system anymore, so just run windows 2000 :)

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
HAHA, man, that brings back memories - QBasic was the first language I ever learnt to program in, back when I was 12.
Yeah same but a bit younger i think about 8 or 9 but i had a nerd of a brother to help me along the way. Mind you he was a Pascal fanboy back in the 80s early 90s

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
ktorrent runs torrents faster then utorrent for me, is your linux torrents setup right?

I forwarded the ports on my router which I didn't need to do with utorrent and windows. Once I loaded the port forwarding for my router the kubuntu build just **** itself, so I'm reloading windows as I'm writing this. I'm getting another free pc from work so I'll load that up and see how I go.

What distro do you use?