Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

little door under radio not closing

peak200_0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S/C Calais
Latch

Gday Guys. You can buy the latch from Wagner Electronic Services ( WES Components) .
Cost is aroud one Dollar as opposed to the ripoff Holden Price. Their address is 138 Liverpool Rd Ashfield Sydney Ph 02 97978666. The WES Part number is DL1902 on page 3-8 of their catalogue. Its a common latch used on TVs & Videos, Computer equipment.
http://www.wagner.net.au/catalogue/03_Television.pdf
Cheers.

Attachments

• Latch.jpg
    Latch.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 288

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Lucky i looked on here. I paid 18 dollars for it, and yes, the Haynes manual didnt show anything. F*rk i was gonna pull out the whole console lol. Do you really need that tool of can you just use a screw driver etc ? Bye the way, how flimsy is that thing, you can snap em off just holding it. No wonder its 18.50, imagine after market profits, Holden charge you probably $50 labour to replace it.

VX_Wannabe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec
i found its much easier with the tool but i guess if you can get a screw driver through the little slot it could be worth a try, and as its the old crappy one i wouldnt worry about snapping it either

VZTHUNDER

Enhanced Custom Tuned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder MY06
all fixed now
looks alot nicer with the new clip in
its 18.45 from holdens

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
i found its much easier with the tool but i guess if you can get a screw driver through the little slot it could be worth a try, and as its the old crappy one i wouldnt worry about snapping it either

On my VX i removed the first pin on the left, the the rest if it is not coming out as you mentioned ? DO i need to remove another pin, or is there a step missing ? I dont wanna pull on the door as it will break.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
On my VX i removed the first pin on the left, the the rest if it is not coming out as you mentioned ? DO i need to remove another pin, or is there a step missing ? I dont wanna pull on the door as it will break.

You need to take the compartment out to fix the latch. You have to remove the consul cover, 2 screws either side of the cigarette lighter socket and pull up. Then there another 2 screws holding the compartment in.

br14nh

Back in the saddle....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 wagon 5sp Manual
At first, I pulled the dash apart to get to it too - then I found that all you need to do is:-
1) pull the little pin to the left of the door, then (this wasn't clear from the instructions)
2) along the right hand wall of the compartment there is a small cutout with a locating tab that holds the compartment in - you need something to push the tab back and the compartment will pull straight out. You can almost see this cutout in the photos earlier in the post - it is about half way up the RH side wall of the compartment. A straightened paper clip with about 1cm of the end bent at 90 degrees should be enough to do the trick - it can be hard seeing what you're doing due to the confined space.

THen as per the pictures, Once you have replaced the clip mechanism, refitting is dead simple - push compartment into place, replace pin in LH side of door flap.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
At first, I pulled the dash apart to get to it too - then I found that all you need to do is:-
1) pull the little pin to the left of the door, then (this wasn't clear from the instructions)
2) along the right hand wall of the compartment there is a small cutout with a locating tab that holds the compartment in - you need something to push the tab back and the compartment will pull straight out. You can almost see this cutout in the photos earlier in the post - it is about half way up the RH side wall of the compartment. A straightened paper clip with about 1cm of the end bent at 90 degrees should be enough to do the trick - it can be hard seeing what you're doing due to the confined space.

THen as per the pictures, Once you have replaced the clip mechanism, refitting is dead simple - push compartment into place, replace pin in LH side of door flap.

I figured that part, jsut i didnt see it in one of the steps. Do you push the clip or pull the tab ?

br14nh

Back in the saddle....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 wagon 5sp Manual
The tab is on the removable section, and it "clips" into place in the hole in the section of the compartment that stays put - you need to push the tab back away from the compartment, in the direction of the driver's side of the car, the trick is keeping pressure on the tab while pulling gently forward.. :). That should free the removable bit of the compartment to slide out.

You can see the tab in the 5th picture of the set (where he's jamming the tool into the catch to remove it), up at the top right of the plastic compartment fitting, framed by the steering wheel.

I hope that's a bit clearer.. :)

VZTHUNDER

Enhanced Custom Tuned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder MY06
yeh
u just need to put pressure near the clip at the back
i just used my finger and jimmied it out
the clip u need to put pressure on is clearly visable from the pics