Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Locked Steering Column

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
I have just had my first major failure on my VX2 Equipe ( with 375,000 Klm ) on it. The ignition key will not turn and has locked the steering column. Have tried WD 40, gentile tapping, all to no avail. The key / ignition tumbler assembly will need to some how come out and a new unit installed. Is this a job for a lock smith ? Has any poster has this happen to their Commodore ? If so, how as it resolved ? Appreciate any advice and informed comment.

Regards to All !

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
prob an ignition barrel, had mine done by locksmith whom had to come out on site.. think it was $280 from it all to be done about 6mths ago, get a price, ring around.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
prob an ignition barrel, had mine done by locksmith whom had to come out on site.. think it was $280 from it all to be done about 6mths ago, get a price, ring around.
for the time and stress involved, i usually get locksmith to do the job

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
That YouTube video worked a charm for me. I had my barrell replaced 2 years ago and it did it again a few months ago.

The barrell feels better than new now. **** paying a locksmith $300 bucks to come out and do a 15 min job.

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
made just for you
Good video, but It has a couple of gaps. I did try the cable tie and even an old feeler guage. No result. I tried this without removing the surround. I could not see what difference it makes to whether the cable tie releases the barrel.

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
Thanks for all that replied. The locksmith ( experienced in Commodore ignition barrel replacement ) route looks the safest and less stressfull for me to pursue. I note that the after market barrels on ebay are only around $25.

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
Drill that tab out and it will never happen again. I guarantee you'll get a new barrell and be doing the same job again in a few years.