Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for advice on rust

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
I decided to have a go at getting rid of the tow bar on the SS. Got the rear apron off fine. Got the bumper off and then the tow bar, all fine. Before I put the bumper back on though, it looked as though the nuts holding it on were greased, should a be reapplying something before putting the bumper back on? And also there appears to b a by of rust around where the bumper was bolted on, anything I can to about that? I've just gone and cleaned it all up a bit back there as it was filthy but I don't want to slap everything back on and have it all seized together later on.

Cheers for any feedback guys.

uploadfromtaptalk1388472340573.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1388472360142.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1388472377390.jpg

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
i have never had an issue taking one of them off.
if you want put a slop of grease, wd40, crc, whatever you choose on them
you shouldnt need to take them off unless you plan on putting the towbar back on

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers B-Man,

I ended up just cleaning up the parts with WD40 and just using a bit of grease on the bolts before putting it all back together. The car does feel noticeably lighter to drive without the tow bar on it. All in all it was a successful afternoon.

Cheers.

watsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 5.7 VY S2 CALAIS
If ur worried about rust then use a product called penatrol. Awesome stuff. It soaks into the rust and stops it from spreading any further. Paint shops stock it.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
the "grease" is an anti-seize compound to make screwing on and unscrewing easier. regular axle grease wont have the same properties as it'll wash off/dry out/fill with dust etc, but doesnt hurt to have it on there. the grease they use is more like lard or butter and stays hard untill you unscrew it.

WD40 should never be used on anything unless youre a mechanic and dont give a flying toss.

if you use penetrol or deoxidine on a thread itll bake onto the thread and act like loctite so youll have a cnut of a time getting it off again.

i wouldnt worry too much about it. axle grease will be fine. just keep the area clean and dirt free by regularly washing your car.

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
the "grease" is an anti-seize compound to make screwing on and unscrewing easier. regular axle grease wont have the same properties as it'll wash off/dry out/fill with dust etc, but doesnt hurt to have it on there. the grease they use is more like lard or butter and stays hard untill you unscrew it.

WD40 should never be used on anything unless youre a mechanic and dont give a flying toss.

if you use penetrol or deoxidine on a thread itll bake onto the thread and act like loctite so youll have a cnut of a time getting it off again.

i wouldnt worry too much about it. axle grease will be fine. just keep the area clean and dirt free by regularly washing your car.

Cheers for the input. Out of interest, what's wrong with WD40?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2