Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for help fitting thermal fans to VC

AitchEBoy

Ray
Reaction score
Members Ride
81 VC Waggon 3.3 auto
I recently posted inquiring as to how others have mounted thermal fans to their VC's. Unfortunately no body replied. I have access to a twin fan setup. which i am told come from a Commodore V6 and should fit the VC Radiator. I have not pulled the radiator out as yet so cannot verify if they will fit.
I am asking for help from anyone who has fitted the VT Commodore fans to their VC as to how they mounted them, i.e. either before or after the radiator. Whether they fabricated a bracket and any other helpful ideas. I have included photoes of the fan setup for information.

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,123

The Darkness

Junk Yard Dog
Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VT V6 A4
usually thermo fans are placed after the radiator so in the engine bay. as to the brackets, something would have to be fabriacted up but wouldnt be too hard. also after hooking them up,a good idea would be to run a switch to the fans from inside the car so you can turn them on or off. very useful when sitting in traffic or drive throughs or even drags. hope this helps

AitchEBoy

Ray
Reaction score
Members Ride
81 VC Waggon 3.3 auto
J/D

Thanks for your reply. I was pretty sure it would be going after the radiator. I will be removing the shroud, belt fan and spacer pretty soon. Just looking at the unit I was wondering if it wasnt larger that the radiator it will be covering. The depth of the fan unit dosen't seem a problem just the height and width. I guess I wont know until the fan etc comes off.

I know this fan unit is not the series 1 VT unit but have been told it will fit the VC. The unit I have is approx 700mm x 500mm with a depth of 150mm and was off a V6. I guess that I will get a pair of metal brackets bent in the form of "Z" and techscrew / poprivet it to the radiator support. I will keep you informed of my progress.

Ray

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
I've got a set of thermo fans as well, and was going to put them in my vk. They are wider than the radiator though so temporarily gave up on the idea. I could cut them up a bit to make them fit, but that involves effort.

AitchEBoy

Ray
Reaction score
Members Ride
81 VC Waggon 3.3 auto
I've got a set of thermo fans as well, and was going to put them in my vk. They are wider than the radiator though so temporarily gave up on the idea. I could cut them up a bit to make them fit, but that involves effort.

Maybe not going so far as to cut them down to size. The archives all indicate that the Series 1 VT fans fit. I guess I was hoping someone who has already fitted them will dive in and fill in the missing info. I am going to pull the belt fan out this weekend and see. Keep you advised. What I am especially interested in is whether they clear the top n bottom rad. hoses. Darwin eh! guess you need lots of cooling up there.

Ray

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
Hi Ray, I am looking at the same modification (on a VK), how did you end up going?

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
grab a set of twin thermos out of a Ford Mondeo, they fit up well in the early commodores, the shroud is plastic and be cut back to fit properly. They do the job well. The AU fand are too wide and the EL EF fans are tight but can be made to fit with a fair bit of work. The Mondeo Fans have a hook, that will allow you to sling them over the radiator lip and then use some trans cooler mounting straps to hold it in place.

AitchEBoy

Ray
Reaction score
Members Ride
81 VC Waggon 3.3 auto
Well I finally decided not to fit the twin V6 thermal fan setup into my VC. There seemed to be too many problems to overcome. I went a bought a davies craig DC31 fan and am in the process of cutting/trimming down the original shroud and placing the fan inside. I have a mate a sheet metal worker and he is making a plate to cover the opening and we will fit the fan to this plate. I will post a picture when completed.
Ray

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
Well I finally decided not to fit the twin V6 thermal fan setup into my VC. There seemed to be too many problems to overcome. I went a bought a davies craig DC31 fan and am in the process of cutting/trimming down the original shroud and placing the fan inside. I have a mate a sheet metal worker and he is making a plate to cover the opening and we will fit the fan to this plate. I will post a picture when completed.
Ray

Thanks Ray, with the VT fans was there anything that was a complete shop stopper? I ask because I can get a VT setup very cheap. Regards Phil