Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LoRa WaN anyone here on the Mesh?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
As per thread title, expecting not many.

Edit: not that ponzi scheme **** HNT.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Are you using LoRa WAN or P2P? Meshtastic isint WAN is it?

What are you using it for? I thought you were metro. I see most of these applications in farming/ag etc.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Are you using LoRa WAN or P2P? Meshtastic isint WAN is it?

What are you using it for? I thought you were metro. I see most of these applications in farming/ag etc.

Meshtastic is the firmware you can run on a LoRa device, it's for messaging, it can also send sensor data.
I have an amature radio licence, so if there is fun to be had on a class licence band most amatures will have a try.
It's basically like CB but with text messages, the more nodes in an area the larger the mesh gets.
I switched mine on on Sunday, then two more came onto the public channel yesterday, there's about 15 nodes I can see, it covers about half the city so far.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Is anyone using Meshtastic? I highly doubt it though.
It's not big in Australia, most people just use the Internet. I like the idea of an distributed network not beholden to Telcos. There's some really good implementations overseas for remote health, agriculture and IoT integration. I'm not sure I'd go to all that trouble for an SMS though

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Doesn't seem much point in using SMS when you can talk to the US and many other countries via your HAM radio and actually hear a voice. I used to talk to people interstate on my 27meg from SA when the skip was running and the Indonesians were in bed.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It's not big in Australia, most people just use the Internet. I like the idea of an distributed network not beholden to Telcos. There's some really good implementations overseas for remote health, agriculture and IoT integration. I'm not sure I'd go to all that trouble for an SMS though
It's not that much trouble, I've got one not far from me and have been using it to chat.
Plus you can use it in private mode between two people, I just like having an off grid comms option.
Doesn't seem much point in using SMS when you can talk to the US and many other countries via your HAM radio and actually hear a voice. I used to talk to people interstate on my 27meg from SA when the skip was running and the Indonesians were in bed.

Yea I have a HF rig 1.8mhz, 3.5mhz, 7mhz, 14mhz, 18mhz, 21mhz, 24mhz, 28mhz and 50mhz, I'm only allowed on 3.5mhz, 7mhz, 21mhz and 28mhz under my licence conditions.
They all skip differently, 1.8 and 3.5mhz are ground wave, 7mhz to 24mhz are long range ionospheric bouncing frequencies, 28 and 50mhz are the top of HF 50mhz is actually VHF, but they get sporadic E and weather related skip, also the time of day changes for all frequencies how effective they are.
7mhz is good for a late evening skip over to the US from Australia.
Also the HF transceiver I have, most all do, has 4 modes.
CW continuous wave: used for morse code, this is where the Q code comes from, CW is usually used at the bottom of the band.
AM amplitude modulation: is a phone method of radio so voice not used commonly these days, usually used at the top of the band.
USB upper sideband: used 14mhz and up for phone, it's up with AM at the phone portion of the band.
LSB lower sideband: used 7mhz and down for phone same deal at the top of the band.

Digital: used in the centre of the band, can be used on a SB/CW radio with a electronic adaptor, but many modern radios will be able to do digital natively via USB. Here is an example of a modern HF radio.
https://www.icomjapan.com/lineup/products/IC-7300EUR/

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It's not that much trouble, I've got one not far from me and have been using it to chat.
Plus you can use it in private mode between two people, I just like having an off grid comms option.
Sure, agreed, unless you're in Sydney and you want to communicate with the rest of Australia. It's kind of like Omegle for data streams

1000018957.jpg

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Sure, agreed, unless you're in Sydney and you want to communicate with the rest of Australia. It's kind of like Omegle for data streams

View attachment 266532

That map only takes data from the MQTT server. I have about 15 nodes near me that aren't on that map.
It has a limited data rate, but it also depends on the settings, the faster the data and wider bandwidth you have, the less range you get.
But it's basically enough data for text messages, I seem to get about 5-6km of range on mine, that is with the antenna inside, I'm going to mount it outside.