Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
losh1971 Are the blinkers fixed yet?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
losh1971 Are the blinkers fixed yet?

Not yet still waiting for the stalk to arrive. They are working at the present though. Wire brushed with the grinder, the new column yesterday and gave it a coat of etch. Need to paint it with some epoxy black next week. Not sure when I will have time to fit it, working full days next week.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Painted the new steering column over the weekend in epoxy black. Just need to find a few hours to fit it along with my new blinker stalk. I was thinking id bring the parts with me and install it while we are camping but the fiance and the girls might have not approved....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Taken a day off work tomorrow to come home and spend a day in the shed working on the ute. Tail-shaft is out and damaged so needs at the very least a new front half. Have to deal with that in a few weeks as things are pretty tight ATM. But I received a cheque in the mail from our energy provider for $125 bucks so am gonna use that to get a SH shaft and two uni's fitted to it. Just leaving the centre hanger to be done in a few weeks.
20180109_190109.jpg
Tomorrow plan is to install another steering column and indicator switch.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Took me 45mins to get the steering column out. Column had collapsed at some point. I read that is what they are supposed to do if you have a front on. Which i recently found out my ute has had a knock in the front end. I reckon if i wanted to i could rebearing the old shaft as it comes apart pretty easy. But since I have one tjat can go straight in i will just do that.
20180109_204908.jpg
20180109_204933.jpg
you can see the bearing cage has fallen right out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I was thinking would be best to get the steering column back in while it's fresh in my mind but I have run into an issue found out tonight just now not all commodores are the same...... Steering column housings are different on column shift models.... Only tad but it means the shifter won't bolt up. Have to decide whether to cut the bracket off and have it welded on or cut the new housing and try to carefully prize out the bearing.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20180109_223322.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pretty much got the steering column back in just have three bolts, the wheel and the covers to fit back on. In the end I decided the best way to go was to press out the bearing and seal and reuse them in my old housing. Took a bit of work as I had to cut the housing up near the bearing and then carefully press it out with the press to break the bond of the rubber on the wall of the tube. Then I cut a slit and opened the housing with a screw driver and pushed the bearing and seal out with my fingers. Fortunately I didn't damage the bearing or seal which I could easily have if I cut the slit too deep. I have just run into an issue because I seem to have a plug left over and no where for it to go. Can't work out even with the manual if it is a horn plug or a air bag as that is the only two things I can think of. Although plugging it onto the horn switch it blew the interior light fuse. So need help with that. New indicator switch is on and everything is working including my cruise off and on switch. Where as before it was on all the time.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
If its a small two pin plug - there's a small green light that shines on the keybarrel that is connected to the interior light circuit.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got it pretty well back together but I have managed to break the needle off the shifter. Currently waiting for the JB weld to set before I put the cover back on. Bit of a mongrel job putting it back together; because a previous owner has been rough on the plastics and a few clips are broken off. Put a bit of black silicone on the gear lever shroud where a clip was broken off. Should be able to take the clamp off that in an hour or so. Plan is to get it all back together, just not bolt the wheel on tight as I still need to see if it's centred. That's a 10min job finishing that so I will slip the wheel on and finger the nut up so I don't lose the wheel when testing it for centre. Once I get my drive shaft sorted and back in I will then finish the wheel install properly. Reckon that will be it for today. Really glad I didn't attempt this job at my finace's place as I would have been in trouble; I would have gotten stuck without having access to all my tools and gear.

I was gonna look at the NSS but that can wait until next time I need to not be tired before looking at getting that working properly. For now I can still get the ute started, just sometimes takes a wiggle and slide of the leaver.