Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lost all gears (Suddenly) engine running

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Thanks for your replies. I was driving it as advised on here to see if it was a one-off and also if it happen again. Car was always started from cold but no longer have gears so won't get warm mate. I would do the replacement myself but no confidence or knowledge around that area. Best left to pros. Howmuch was your converter on its own? Do the vt-vz have the same TQ or are the different due to my being an alloytec?

Mate you should have had it looked at right away like i said. Now even if it is only the tranny pump you have more then likely done damage to the box itself which will require a rebuild.

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
As said above i can't book car in anywhere. All seem booked out. A shop near me said he may have a free slot nextweek so will book in then. If worst comes, rebuild would be expensive. Would buying a 2nd hand box be better and would need to be reprogrammed to my ecu? Whats the cost effective way?

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
As said above i can't book car in anywhere. All seem booked out. A shop near me said he may have a free slot nextweek so will book in then. If worst comes, rebuild would be expensive. Would buying a 2nd hand box be better and would need to be reprogrammed to my ecu? Whats the cost effective way?
Repair is cheaper unless you can get a really good deal on a second hand box. I got mine repaired for $2500 which included all brand new friction surfaces and oil seals, but a proper rebuild is closer to $3500 as the 5 speed has some really expensive parts, the pistons that actuate the bands are close to $700 alone.

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Finally got my car back and repaired today.:smoking:
Had to get another gearbox for it as the original one had blown the pump, damaged the torque converter and had metal shavings in the valves. All up $2450 including new seals, labour and towing fee's. He also straightened under car (car is lowered on peddlers), straightened exhausts, topped up all fluids, steam cleaned the engine bay and checked/adjusted brakes.

Pretty good price me thinks, what are your thoughts?

Nitronic_12

Loser of the loser flyby
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Wagon
Good to know what happened mate, glad you got it fixed but that's a fair bit of coin to part with. I'll be happen to reference this if anything like this happens to me or any other of my mates.