Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low-profile car ramp choices for VF

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That may have been one thing..Another I suspect was the idiot factor involved....Drunk tossbags jerking around near pits and going ass up and hurting themselves, then suing their "mates" for an uncovered pit.

Spraying water underneath the car constantly, having still water sitting for years, breading all sorts of lovely things, creating a pest issue for everyone around them...

That a couple and I reckon if we thought harder, you'd find a few more reasons that revolve around the idiot factor
I've done full underbody washes and most of the water ends up outside the pit as you don't have it too far over. What does enter, you can scoop out with a cut open oil bottle. The remainder dries out, saw dust, dirt and cement dust cleans up the rest. With a regular sweep out this is not a problem, although I'll admit I've only done the sweep out once or twice, and its overdue.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've done full underbody washes and most of the water ends up outside the pit as you don't have it too far over. What does enter, you can scoop out with a cut open oil bottle. The remainder dries out, saw dust, dirt and cement dust cleans up the rest. With a regular sweep out this is not a problem, although I'll admit I've only done the sweep out once or twice, and its overdue.

That because you have common sense...You've got to think, there are a lot of people around that don't have common sense and the council use that to their advantage as reasoning to deny approval for pits....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Surprises me it's that little, with the need for reinforcement & the cost of concrete etc.
That's materials alone. I built mine except for the operator who dug the hole. You dig the hole wider on the sides, pour your base slab, brick it up, and pour concrete in the gap between the dirt and the bricks. You need plastic to keep it from salt damp. But other than that it's pretty straight forward. Mine looks rough as, as never pointed up the bricks, and just used whatever I could source SH. But eight years on and no issues at all.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I was being silly, which you may already know. How many pits have you had?

Having said that I've used a a pit for around eight years and I would rather use it than jack and stands any day. Like I mentioned, house with pit may eventually get sold. Coming from a pit, to lying on your back, trust me if anyone says they'd be happy to go back to stands are either BS'n or they're crazy..... Pits are awesome and obviously hoists are the bomb and stands have their place as does ramps.

So IMHO of owning a pit for so long and having pulled engines, and transmissions with it and numerous services of various drivelines, I'd never go anything less..... But that's just my opinion and experience and maybe I'm biased because I have one. But standing up to pump oil, is whole lot easier than lying on your back while dirt drops in your eyes, just saying.......
I've only had them in the workshops at work, which I can use when I want

I admit for some stuff like playing with transmissions they are a whole lot better than laying on your back, but I never pull transmissions, I pay coin for that, I do however like doing all my own brake and suspension work

I would look at any form of post body lift before cutting a slab and digging a hole

Like this puppy > https://www.joelsgaragegear.com.au/products/car-hoists/2-post-car-hoist-subframe/

Edit: and for engine oil changes I have a Fumoto valve, I put the car on stands, connect a hose to the Fumoto, stick the other end in an empty container and wham bam thankyou ma'am, not a drop of oil spilled

Yes I'm lying on my back for about 3 minutes opening and closing valves, and swapping out oil filters, but that ain't a current issue, maybe when I'm much older it may be, but then that's why you have kids........

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I personally know of a house that was used for mechanical work as a business, that got sold....The house was sold to be rented out....The council and I think another gov't dept, forced the new owner to fill in the pit before she could rent it out....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My brother built his in his shed in SA. His pit looks trick, but he is also a qualified builder and made it to look nice as well as function well.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I personally know of a house that was used for mechanical work as a business, that got sold....The house was sold to be rented out....The council and I think another gov't dept, forced the new owner to fill in the pit before she could rent it out....
I have to disclose any non-conforming work when I sell. The pit is the only non-conforming part of the house I helped build. If it was to be rented then that normally requires permits over here, so yep it would need filling in most likely.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I would look at any form of post body lift before cutting a slab and digging a hole

I love my pit and it has served its purpose well over the years. But I wouldn't cut a hole either and build a pit, not now. I'm going Tuff Lift 2 post at some stage, simply because I can and I have plenty of height. Just have to get it past the wicket keeper, who feels new lounge, fences and landscaping are higher priorities....... Hmmmm, some of us would differing opinions to that, I know I do.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I ordered these tonight.
1642065534163.png

I have a floor jack and don't feel the need to buy another at $300, and then find a place to park it. @Fu Manchu said this is a good option to get enough height for a standard floor jack underneath. I took his word and bought a set for $37 off eBay. When they arrive, sometime late this year, I will provide my assessment.....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I love my pit and it has served its purpose well over the years. But I wouldn't cut a hole either and build a pit, not now. I'm going Tuff Lift 2 post at some stage, simply because I can and I have plenty of height. Just have to get it past the wicket keeper, who feels new lounge, fences and landscaping are higher priorities....... Hmmmm, some of us would differing opinions to that, I know I do.....

The way round that is, if you had a hoist, that means I can save some coin fixing the car yourself, which then can go into getting those things quicker....Without the hoist, just means you have less money available because you have to pay a mechanic to fix your car, so she has to wait longer.

Edit...Add her car into the mix too, if you think it'll help...:);)