Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low VR Ute

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
hey, finaly got around to swapping rear springs outta my vh into my ute today, but im not doin the fronts till next week, i want to get an FEA after i do it, BUT does anyone else here who has a ute know if its normal for it to be now sitting on the bump stops, are my springs too low, do i need different bump stops, can i just cut a bit off mine, and just a quick little rant to get off my chest.
They are called bump stops, but now that it sits on them, its one hell of a bumpy ride lol.
i have attached a pic of the rear end, tell me if its too low

Attachments

• 0503071559-00.jpg
    0503071559-00.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 1,246

sganro

i speak before i think
Reaction score
Members Ride
yet another VS
My brothers ute used to sit on the bumb stops, and as you say it was one helluva bumpy ride. He got a new set of springs and when he changed them he found that the original springs were still in the back and they were squashed big time (the bloke who owned it before must have towed mega weight or filled the tray with lead everyday).

So i think your springs might to too low. Not sure if you can cut your bump stops.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
utes have load assist dampers....which si what your ute is siting on!!! pedders make shortened stops ive got them in my ute which is the same height as yours is now and its got about 30mm clearance between the stopped and its seat

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
I thought they looked a little different to the stops in my vh, and i noticed that even though it sits on them, there is still a little bit of bounce in them, so coul i just take those out, and cut a section off them, i suppose that would give it the clearance it needs, but still give a positive stop on them, all im worried bout is that it will sit even lower wen i take them out lol

Mr Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV
in no you can cut them because 1 of mine has riped in 1/2 lol. the problem with haveing it that low and cutting the stop is that you shocks might bottom out and totaly stuff the shock.If you want it that low you will have to also get a set of lowered shocks.I got a price from peders and they are about $160 a pair from memory.

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
meh, not too worried bout shocks, these springs came outta my vh sedan, it actually sat lower than my ute, cause of gas tanks and heaps of stuff always in boot, but it never hit the stops, and the std shocks didnt bottom out either

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
take your bump stops out completely to see how low it sits without them, then cut them or buy some shortened bump stops and put them in.

I dont recommend driving without bumpstops... metal on metal is not a good noise.

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
i solved this issue, i put higher springs in the back, it doesnt look as cool, but it rides so much better, and is a little easier towing car trailers too

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Have you still got your stock shocks in mate?