Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowered VE: pain in the arse or OK?

Marco_VESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF2 Redline M6
I have a stock ride height VE SS but the suspension is showing signs of needing refreshing (no surprise really, it's done 186,000km). Thinking that if I'm going to do that work I might as well get new springs as well and take an inch or so out of the ride height.

So - those of you with lowered VEs, is it OK or a pain? I think driveways and stuff will be fine, but for example I often notice that the front bar barely clears carpark gutters etc and if it was an inch lower I'd probably run into stuff all the time. Is it just a case of being a bit more careful?

Also I remember when the VE first came out there was talk of lowering interfering with the ESP system, can I take it seven and a half years later that this didn't turn out to be a problem?

Thanks
Marco

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
Yes you will scrape on more. But I've lowered mine a fair bit, and you just need to be mindful how low you are.
I just reverse into car parks so I always clear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
My calais scrapes all the time. Speed humps are a 45 degree criss cross, i avoid all sloping driveways. Its the price you pay to get the perfect stance and look. Looks f'n mean though with 19's!

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
man up marco ffs lol

if it aint sparking on the highway it's too high.

Drizt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V L98
My VE Calais V scrapes sometimes at stock height :(

The front overhang of the car is already too low for regular parking (the concrete wheel stops).

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
My VE Calais V scrapes sometimes at stock height :(

The front overhang of the car is already too low for regular parking (the concrete wheel stops).

Plus 1 with a standard height Maloo.......

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Im about to put a new exhaust on my calais, will be interesting to see the state of my old cats when i get them off. I expect some bad scarring.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
My SSV is lowered on SSSL springs and Bilstein shocks. Front bar scrapes on any car park gutter, seed bumps require crab walking (going over them diagonally).

Full 2.5" exhaust with big headers occaisionally scrape.

Pain in the ass in some situations, but like any lowered car, you learn to adapt and get your way around.

For the improvement in ride and look, having to deal with being aware of clearance is worth it.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
it's a pain in the arse for anyone following through a carpark when the car in front is taking forever to get their car over a speed bump one wheel at a time.....