Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering-should I/shouldn't I?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
Hi there jyothi,

what series is your VY? Series I or Series II?

There should be a badge on the back that confirms this.

Windsurfing.....

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
I'm glad I asked, there's so much more to it than just shorter springs, I've come to learn! Thanks for all the input. I already find the ride a little bumpier after I got low profine tyres. I shall take everything you guys mentioned before I make a decision.
The only reason I want to lower is to make it look nicer. Handling wise, I'm not really a leadfoot and probably might'nt find too big a difference going around the bends. thanks once again all

I find the standard ride to be quite jittery in itself. I'll reiterate that lowering a car doesn't mean a firmer ride. Do some research, ask some suspension gurus the same questions you're asking here, and you'll be in good stead to make a well informed decision! :thumbsup:

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
Series II,

Well that should mean that you have a IRS Kit fitted in the rear where the Series I did not and can cost between $350 to $650 to have one fitted if you don't want the inside of the rear tyres scrubbed out.

I lowered my VY SII wagon lowed 25mm (guard just level with tyre) and all I had to do way replace the springs, not the shocks.
I used King Springs and have found the ride fine, for me any way. I can slightly notice it but it does not bother me what so ever.
Older people, 50+ notice it a bit more, but hey that's other people........

I believe if you lower her more than 25mm then you need to look at shocks as well.

You should be looking at around $200 to $250 for King springs from EBay.
$300 to $350 from a shop or $450 to $650 supplied & fitted.

Hope all that helps a little.

Windsurfing.....

jyothi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
not just a little but a lot. Thanks for that. much appreciated

Reaction score
jyothi, I think that if you have already noticed a difference in ride comfort simply by putting low profile tyres on, then I would say you are fairly sensitive to ride comfort. In that case I would make sure you follow some of the guys suggestions about doing the complete shocks & springs.
I used to have a VY V6 and I lowered it on king super low springs and left the shocks standard. It was a VERY hard ride. Personally I loved it but i'm guessing most people here wouldn't as it felt alot like driving a go-kart.

Lloyd1986

Reaction score
Website
www.lcimagery.com
Members Ride
VX II Supercharged S pack
My car is just on standard FE2 suspension, and the biggest problem I have, is I cant drive anywhere! the car scrapes on everything. Try to do a U-turn into someone driveway, or on a road with a shoulder, or go over those metal speed bumps and *crunch*. You just have to turn up the music and pretend its not happening... lol

03vyPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 Ute
my cars new height is a tad lower than the FE2 ive seen on other utes, and i find i dont hit anything, except the front mudguards.
ill see how i go after the maloo kit is on it.
as well as the roads your driving on, look at where you park both at home and work, as one or the other may have a steep hill or bumps.
i decided not to dump mine on its arse or go 19"s cos im a bricky and my car sees some pretty horrid parking spots, i talked to the guys at pedders, he showed me the companys VZ lowered, and let me choose from there

havoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 SS Ute
I'd love to lower my VY, Please let rip with all your opinions. I live in W Sydney, is there a good place I can get it done, should I have to change the shocks? anything that you guys can think of
every opinion appreciated and taken aboard

I had a VY series2 ute with FE2 suspension and had it lowered at Wholesale Suspension at Penrith. Had to change the back shocks because there was to much travel. Also try Pedders at Penrith if your near.

azzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY 9.5 SSV Sportswagon M6 & 08 prado D4D GXL M6
Well i had a vy s2 calais and they have fe1.5 springs from the factory. I now have a vz ss with the standard fe2 and the calais had 18 inch rims (same as ss). I couldn't notice any ride difference so i think it is whatwver you get used to