Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowndes and Whincup defecting?

Guru Spook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
I've always been a Lowndes fan even though he has driven for the darkside for the last 8 years, or so. Whincup has also proven to be quite a good driver, so it'll be interesting to see what 888 do with the VE platform. They race Vauxhauls in the U.K so it makes sense for them to be a Holden team over here.

One thing I haven't been able to stand since this defection is how Ford fans have said Holden have needed to "buy" 888 because they can't beat them. Shows the arrogance of the Ford side quite frankly. IMO this was a undoing between 888, and Ford, and all Holden done was capitalize on the situation. Smart move in my book. Get the best team in the V8s on their side. Don't think for a second Ford wouldn't do the same thing if GRM was in a similar position to 888.

Anyway even if 888 do bring more success to Holden I will always be loyal to HRT. I have been ever since that first Grice/Percy Bathurst win in 1990 with the VL Walky unlike some of the Ford fans who just go for the Ford team that wins (Example- When most Ford fans got on 888's bandwagon after Ambrose left to go the U.S).

In my experience Holden fans are far more loyal to the teams they like, and will stick by them regardless of how they do. It probably helps too that most of the Holden drivers have always been loyal to Holden, and their fans like Tander, J Richards, Murphy, The Kellys, Holdsworth etc.

Judging by the dummy spits the Fordies have been doing they only support/ed 888, because they kept Ford from being eaten alive by Holden.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My two favorite drivers have come home... first was Ingal and now Craig... all is good in the world again