Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG Conversion on VY

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Yeah commsirac, thats why i said maybe for series 1, cause later model vy's need injection system.

blownba

Reaction score
No you are VERY wrong.
Even 04 VY factory system is IMPCO as it IS EMISSION APPROVED. I fit them. I did one for a guy from these forums LAST WEEK.
What are you talking about????
Even My aftermarket Impco system (doesnt incorperate dash or PCM) Is emission approved. Even the BA/BF falcons built after JAN 04 running IMPCO are Emission approved.
Even V8 would I reckon, BUT you don't run a mixer on a V8 with a plastic manifold unless your a bit soft in the head.
Look if you ask me I would recommend the injection everytime, and I am doing a VT!!!! today.
But as far as the VY 2 goes they run bloody, bloody well with the FACTORY IMPCO system.

greenbeam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
I too have my VY S1 Berlina converted with an IMPCO 'factory' kit. The kit was fitted by an approved fitter, and has a Holden compliance plate. However I went directly to the fitter, bypassing the Holden dealer (not inentionally, I just visited the fitter first and, based on his claims of 'factory warranty' went ahead). The car had 70,000kms on it and was out of warranty by 18 months.

*** BEWARE ***

Two months after the fit, my ECU (computer) failed showing a blown input on the gas wiring to the computer. So I have a factory gas conversion, done by a Holden-approved dealer, a Holden compliance plate, and a 24 month Holden parts warranty. Should be a no-brainer that my ECU failure would be covered because the new gas system failed and fried it. Bzzzzzt.

After countless phone calls between Holden, Impco, the gas fitter and the Holden dealer the upshot was that because I didn't have the dealer arrange the fitment, Holden nor the dealer would cover the ECU under the gas system warranty. So I am $1200 poorer now.

All credit to Impco who tried to convince Holden and the scum-sucking no good dealer and gas-fitter that there is no way the ECU should fail on it's own after only 70,000km. The dealer graciously agreed to waive the $500 extra charge for locating the faulty wiring, which turned out to be an improperly seated connector.

I would not recommend the Holden factory conversion on the car if it's out of warranty. With four different organisations all too keen to point the finger, you will be screwed if it goes badly.

Anyone in Adelaide who wants to know more, PM me. I'm only too keen to save others from dealing with the particular gas fitter and Holden Dealer.

Regards,
Paul.

blownba

Reaction score
Mate I am sorry but you got screwed.
A improperly seated connector??????
Who 'IMPROPERLY SEATED' the connector in the first place????
The fitter should have paid for this. There is no way a dodgy connection is a fault of the gas system it is the fitter!!!
It clearly states in the manual to be very carefull of inserting the gas wiring pins into connector. And you need the special tool to remove the pins from the ECU.
My supplier would have warranted the faulty gas part and what ever the faulty gas part damaged they would warrant it too. Its that simple. But in this case it wasn't a faulty part by the sound of it. They played ping pong with you to see if they could get away with it and they did.
If you go to most dealerships and ask for factory gas on your VY guess what, most of em will just send it too their local fitter for a Impco kit (not factory) and add a thousand or so for the priveledge. Believe me it has happened. The 'Factory' VY kits are not available from Holden anymore. Obsolete.
But Impco still have quite a few of them around.
Anyway Paul I feel very sorry for you to be placed in that position. That truely sucks.
And $1200 for a PCM is pretty steep mate.
You can by reconditioned units for a third of that with a two year warranty.
My cousin owns the company that does it.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
No you are VERY wrong.
Even 04 VY factory system is IMPCO as it IS EMISSION APPROVED. I fit them. I did one for a guy from these forums LAST WEEK.
What are you talking about????
Even My aftermarket Impco system (doesnt incorperate dash or PCM) Is emission approved. Even the BA/BF falcons built after JAN 04 running IMPCO are Emission approved.
Even V8 would I reckon, BUT you don't run a mixer on a V8 with a plastic manifold unless your a bit soft in the head.
Look if you ask me I would recommend the injection everytime, and I am doing a VT!!!! today.
But as far as the VY 2 goes they run bloody, bloody well with the FACTORY IMPCO system.

So why is it when my mate called around with his 04 VY Crewman Ute, they all told him he needed the injector system ??? They are all independant fitters, and i know him, if he could save a dollar he would. What you say makes sense as they are all the same motor, Falcons are a different story, their systems are better suited and tested for lpg.

blownba

Reaction score
Is his crewman a V8???
If it is I would only quote Injection Too.
The risk of backfiring the plastic manifold to pieces with a older mixer system is too great.
BUT if it is a v^ than he does not need to go with injection. I don't know if there is a factory kit for crewman. I have never enquired about one. I have fitted VSI to one though.
Impco systems can easily meet emission requirement when done well and using lean bias processor.
I can buy aftermarket IMPCO stuff for cars newer than 04 and they come with emmision certification. You recieve a copy of it with your conversion.

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Calais VYII Gen3 5.7L V8 + Impco Sequent LPG
i'm getting lpg on my VYII 5.7L GenIII Sedan in the next few weeks

I'm told I must use SVI system (cannot put the cheaper system on, Gen III's backfire and blow off the inlet manifold, ducting... $$$$$)

seems I have a choice of..
- Impco supplied BRC (italian) SVI system
- AirRod supplied E-Gas (also italian) SVI system
and
- either the standard 75L boot tank
- or smaller 50L doughnut tank in the spare wheel well .......
I'd like to keep my boot space, but have been advised to avoid the small doughnut tank, not enough range, doesnt fit flat anyway (hump in boot floor), and $300 dearer ..........

anyone put any of these in the VYII Gen III, complaints/ tips anyone ?

and anyone recommend a good lpg installer in Outer Western Sydney NSW / Blue Mountains

nicstwins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Gas fitter

Hi Paul i am just getting quotes now to fit my VY 5.7ltr onto gas would you mind letting me know who your fitter was.
Nic

I too have my VY S1 Berlina converted with an IMPCO 'factory' kit. The kit was fitted by an approved fitter, and has a Holden compliance plate. However I went directly to the fitter, bypassing the Holden dealer (not inentionally, I just visited the fitter first and, based on his claims of 'factory warranty' went ahead). The car had 70,000kms on it and was out of warranty by 18 months.

*** BEWARE ***

Two months after the fit, my ECU (computer) failed showing a blown input on the gas wiring to the computer. So I have a factory gas conversion, done by a Holden-approved dealer, a Holden compliance plate, and a 24 month Holden parts warranty. Should be a no-brainer that my ECU failure would be covered because the new gas system failed and fried it. Bzzzzzt.

After countless phone calls between Holden, Impco, the gas fitter and the Holden dealer the upshot was that because I didn't have the dealer arrange the fitment, Holden nor the dealer would cover the ECU under the gas system warranty. So I am $1200 poorer now.

All credit to Impco who tried to convince Holden and the scum-sucking no good dealer and gas-fitter that there is no way the ECU should fail on it's own after only 70,000km. The dealer graciously agreed to waive the $500 extra charge for locating the faulty wiring, which turned out to be an improperly seated connector.

I would not recommend the Holden factory conversion on the car if it's out of warranty. With four different organisations all too keen to point the finger, you will be screwed if it goes badly.

Anyone in Adelaide who wants to know more, PM me. I'm only too keen to save others from dealing with the particular gas fitter and Holden Dealer.

Regards,
Paul.

r4dicalr4d

Reaction score
Members Ride
'93 Mitsubishi Lancer GL + '03 VY S Auto 3.8L
loss power?

Im just wondering, I got '03 Vy S Commodore... and i was planning to fit a LPG gas coz the fuel now adays are bit expensive and i think, its getting higher. Anyway, is there any loss of power, in my V6 ecotec. We know we love fast machines, and power...Im just wondering if it gonna be changes when you change to LPG gas (dual fuel).
Some say, that nothing change of power if fitted with LPG gas, but some are they said that theres a changes when try to rev up and take off.
is this true? i just dont like, to waste the power of V6.