Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG Conversion Pricing

BT1-355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP BT1 & BLOWN STATESMAN
Ahh cool, now I know a bit more about it I can ask what is included for the quotes.. Thanks alot guys :)

Well ring around and see what prices are you getting, but dont forget to ask what brand of system you are getting and is your gas tank new of second hand etc etc. Me myself would go for a genuine IMPCO system as fitted from factory. As for a SVI system, i wouldn't brother as your car is too old and it would take longer to get your $$$$$$ back

Mad-Biker

Reaction score
Members Ride
cbr600f4i
my vl commodore came with some mixer type set up, teh gas gets injected into the air arm near the air filter! just doesnt sit right with me that.. obviously powers down, as now yourve got half the air, as its mixed with the gas

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
i paid 2200 about a year ago for the conversion on my vr v6

and didnt have much trouble with it. although it wasnt worth the money/time/effort of getting it put in. id say i didnt even save the money i paid after the 2 grand rebate in the time i had it.

it made the car smell like gas occasionally. it made my boot almost unusable. it was just all round a pain in the ass and i wouldnt convert or buy another converted commodore.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Mixer gas systems are great while they are new, but after they age they are absolutely terrible, with the cash spent at mechanics getting leaks, breakages, parts replaced (both petrol and gas) etc far exceeding what you save.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
Mixer gas systems are great while they are new, but after they age they are absolutely terrible

the mixer setup in my vn v6 was 18 years old, IMPCO, only problem was a $20 water gasket for the converter. ran like an absolute dream (better than my current ring setup on the vp 5ltr).

with the cash spent at mechanics getting leaks, breakages, parts replaced (both petrol and gas) etc far exceeding what you save.

:hmmm:

i guess the average saving on lpg would be around $1500 a year (i save $2500). are you trying to say it's going to cost $1500 a year to maintain a mixer system when it gets old? that is simply untrue.

nb: the lpg setup i had fitted on my vp comes with a lifetime warranty on parts and labour providing i get it serviced every 6 months. that's $180 a year and i'll never have to pay for anything that goes wrong. ever.

Last edited:

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
the mixer setup in my vn v6 was 18 years old, IMPCO, only problem was a $20 water gasket for the converter. ran like an absolute dream (better than my current ring setup on the vp 5ltr).

:hmmm:

i guess the average saving on lpg would be around $1500 a year (i save $2500). are you trying to say it's going to cost $1500 a year to maintain a mixer system when it gets old? that is simply untrue.

nb: the lpg setup i had fitted on my vp comes with a lifetime warranty on parts and labour providing i get it serviced every 6 months. that's $180 a year and i'll never have to pay for anything that goes wrong. ever.

Average saving of $1500? You must be high. I also have an old impco mixer set up as does a good freind of mine and both of us have had many issues, with a mechanic informing me that the life of these kits is around 7 years, after which time everything starts to fail.

Another issue with these gas kits is that standard wiring is altered and these alterations over time will cause the failure of electrical components. Wear and tear cause my gas mixer systems is much worse than systems not fitted with gas.

Gas systems must be tuned around every 5000 km or at each service before they begin to run badly and use excessive amounts of gas, stall etc. The cost of these tunes is around $60, if you can find a mechanic that will just give you a tune, which is rare, but im sure you will say you have one or have never needed a tune :bang:

It is clear that you have a one sided opinion on the topic and wont let others have their say. As for your huge saving you either drive over 40,000 km a year or that 4 inch exhaust tip you had on your V6 VN gave you amazing fuel economy.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
no, by all means have your say. i'm not stopping you. you can say whatever you want. but if you want to talk **** then i don't understand why you're so upset about being corrected. i do not have a one sided opinion on the topic, cant you read? i already said that i agree that vapour injection is better than a mixer. the problem is that you are spewing out false and misleading facts about mixer type setups.

"a mechanic informed you that the life of the kits is around 7 years". awesome, that means it MUST be true if a mechanic told you. and i guess the compliance plate on my v6 that said the gas was installed in 1991 must been incorrect as the system lasted for 18 years only requiring a $20 gasket in the time i had it.

"if you can find a mechanic that will just give you a tune". what do you mean by they won't give you a tune? why wouldn't they give you a tune? i got a tune done on my vn at SAS automotive in somerville. if you don't believe me then find their number in the yellow pages and give them a ring. also, i already told you, my gas installer requires a service to be done every 6 months in order to keep the warranty. this costs $90 and includes a tune and i guess they give it a general check over as well.

"Average saving of $1500? You must be high". depends what do you define as average km? i would say 350km/week is average. everyone i know drives more than this anyway - but hey if you can find a real average figure then go ahead and prove me wrong, after all i am only assuming.

case study: barry drives 350km per week and his car uses 14l/100km. over a year, he drives 18,200km and uses 2,548 litres of fuel. at $1.20l, this costs him $3,057.60 a year. if he switched to gas, he would use 30% more which would equate to 18.2l/100km, or 3,312.4 litres over the year, although gas costs 50c/l. in total, this would cost him $1,656.20 a year. this means that barry would save $1401.40 a year.

but yeah, i guess i am high because i didn't take into account the servicing cost of $180/year which brings the saving down to $1,221.40.

i drive 30,000kms a year and my v8 uses a more than the example figures i posted above, which is why lpg is especially good for thirsty vehicles. the more petrol you use the more you save...

just because you had a bad experience with an impco mixer system, it does not mean that every mixer system in the world is bad and that i must be lying when i say i've had nothing but good experiences. i've had problems with holdens in general but i don't go around talking **** telling people not to buy them because all of the various things that go wrong with everyone's commodores and that they would spend more money than they would save if they just didn't buy a commodore at all and just caught the bus. at the end of the day, you can't tell me that your precious vapour injection system won't have components fail as it gets older as well. most people aren't going to keep their cars more than 5 years so in that timeframe i can't see the extra outlay for vapour actually providing any benefit.

Last edited:

mrhotdog

What Would Jesus Do?.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
case study: barry drives 350km per week and his car uses 14l/100km. over a year, he drives 18,200km and uses 2,548 litres of fuel. at $1.20l, this costs him $3,057.60 a year. if he switched to gas, he would use 30% more which would equate to 18.2l/100km, or 3,312.4 litres over the year, although gas costs 50c/l. in total, this would cost him $1,656.20 a year. this means that barry would save $1401.40 a year.

but yeah, i guess i am high because i didn't take into account the servicing cost of $180/year which brings the saving down to $1,221.40.

i drive 30,000kms a year and my v8 uses a more than the example figures i posted above, which is why lpg is especially good for thirsty vehicles. the more petrol you use the more you save...

exactly, my v6 was using about 15L/100km when i had the gas done, i found instant savings, even when gas is 64c/L which is expensive, its still cheaper. if you dont do a lot of driving then gas probably isnt for you, but if ur kms are in the 8,000km/yr upwards id say go gas. with the tuning only about $60, its like everything, if its looked after it will go for ages (which reminds me mine needs a tune soon :p).
as for the wiring issue, if its done properly there shouldnt be any issues

i think you are just speaking from bad experience dufus,
to the OP if the pros outweigh the cons, just go gas if u dont mind sacrifising a bit of boot space or ur spare.

kalu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
hi guys,

i am interested in installing a second hand gas system to my VT, i came across a new system off a damaged VX so its a matter of sapping them. the system is only 2 years old only done about 30,000 km

also i saw ton the government rebate website that you get the grant $1750 on second hand systems as long as its installed by a qualified licensed gas installer

any idea how much will it cost and any one in melb who would do the job?

cheers

Last edited: