Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG Gas in a 98 manual VT commodore

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
358 000 kms is alot of kms for any engine have you considered the wear factor at these kms valve guides and seats , condition of gaskets and seals , while it runs ok on petrol a change to LPG at such high miles is where you really get to see how good the engine is , after converting many cars to gas i've seen alot of small air leaks or worn valves cause problems that customers then believe is covered by the warranty when in fact it's not , depending on which system is fitted in the end weather it be ring mixer positive feed , mixer system negative feed , vapour injection , liquid injection , base tune is the biggest factor in any gas conversion , changing of spark plugs and leads is always recommended to a more suitable product .

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Thanks Strgas, They gave it a full tune and replaced leads, coils and the thing that the coils sit on.

I presume it wouldn't be cheap to fix any leaks and valves etc??

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Car is no longer backfiring and is running quite smooth :) Same as before! I took my car back and they said there was one cracked spark plug (on the new set they put on) so they replaced the whole set for me...so they said. And they also retuned it and all this jazz.

The only problem I am facing is trying to start the car when I have it on gas, especially in the morning...It just wont start, Once it turns over i have to rev it heaps and switch it to fuel and keep revving because If i don't, it will just stall.

Once i put the clutch in and the Rev's go down, it will just go right down to 0 and stall. So i had to drive around the streets near my house without having to stop at any signs.

I have got it on Fuel now, so tomorrow morning when i go to work i'll see what happens. If this persists i will be paying another visit.

any1 experience any similar problem?

Cheers,
Joe

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
PS: I have the Ventura mix or something. I think i spelt that right. I did not get SVI or SIV because it was rather expensive

RK5TAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Manual
maybe they have the mix wrong? none of my gas cars ever had a stalling issue like that. take it back.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
sounds likes its to lean when cold , hard to set the tune for hot and cold running condition as there is very little enrichment for cold starting its a balncing act between hot and cold settings .

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
ahhh ok. so does that mean they need to do some re-tuning to get it better?

Also, my car hunts so much when I'm in 3rd, 4th and 5th. Always around the 60-80km/h mark. It's so annoying because you can't cruise on the highway without bouncing back and forth.

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
The only problem I am facing is trying to start the car when I have it on gas, especially in the morning...It just wont start, Once it turns over i have to rev it heaps and switch it to fuel and keep revving because If i don't, it will just stall.

Mine always starts up on petrol which I'm guessing is to avoid this situation...

On cold starts it will take about 3 minutes or so (I vaguely remember my installer saying once the water temp gets to 40 degrees or something it changes :/) before it changes over automatically, and then on warm starts it will generally change over in about 10 seconds.

And yea I haven't once had a backfire... I've recently changed over to one of Mace's CAI's with a pod so I guess I may have now and haven't noticed :/ but yea for the odd 7 months I had the stock intake I never had one!

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Well it does stall while starting on fuel AND gas every morning. I just have to start and rev it straight away and drive off and not let the revs dip down to 0 while changing gears. If the car has been sitting for more than 2-3 hours you can just turn it on without having to rev it a bit strraight away and maybe drive without letting it idle at all.

I left my GF's the other night and it stalled at the lights on Gas and i had to wait about 30 seconds so it could start again..lucky traffic wasn't real busy!!! 0_o

Someone has said that it could be one of the censors and should be hooked up to a scantool....what are your thoughts??