Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG - Pros V Cons

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
So, I'm interested in hearing about the pro's and con's of running LPG/Gas in a VN. I don't know much about it but I know some people swear by it and some people swear at it.

Is is possible to run both gas and petrol and have like a switch to change between the two? How much power do you generally lose? Is it actually worth putting gas into a VN? Does the engine wear faster? Is a well maintained engine with say 250 000 on it a decent candidate to having gas installed? What about with 150 000 on it?

Interested in knowing anything and everything :)

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
when they put the lpg in ure car they always put a switch in to change from lpg to petty cos its always good to run ure car on petty every now and then

also i personally dont like gas cos in the cars that i have had with gas i have found that the engine hasnt been at its full potential and its worn out fast but they were pre 1990's car but a few mates that have gas in their 2000+ cars seem to run pretty good but thats my opion and experience but im sure someone else will say differant

V8 Berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina V8 / Toyota Hiace
GAS injection is good, better l/100km, with the same power out put.
Tuned by a comp. Gas cuts in when the engine is at a set temp say around 35c. Carnt even feel the change over, just hear the relay click on. Im my opinion gas injection is very good.

V8 Berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina V8 / Toyota Hiace
Also our fleet all run gas now with a huge saving each month. The money we save on fuel for 2 cars covers the lease cost of another 1. Well worth it.

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
used to be a gas fitter, the cost of having gas fitted... it will take u 2 years before u actually start breaking even from the 2+ grand u spent to get it fitted

gas is harder on your motor, takes a different tune, stronger spark, more weight in the boot, ur leads have to be thicker, u need different gaps in your spark plugs.... u will always have one source of fuel running abit lousy to have the other source of fuel run good due to tuning. also gas has to be tuned fairly regularly especially on commos as once it starts getting out of tune it will start running like **** and back firing and blowing up airboxes which are about 30 each...

con's of gas ITS CHEAAAAP !! lol

Pimpt6

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH LS1 STATEO VR V6 STATEO & VR V6 BT1
I recently fitted a new gas system to my vr commo with about 210 000 kays on the clock. Yes I have lost a little power but when you get nearly 500 kays to $40 of gas you think hey thats not bad considering before i use to only get 200-250 kays to $50 of juice if that! When I want the power I just flick the switch back to petrol. I havnt had a problem. . No back firing no nothing. It runs Sweet as

skyper

SKYPER
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
my vn i put on gas not long after the deal from the goverment came out ,it had 250,000 on it ,and likes some of the others have said it has more than cut my fuel bill in half,now, my car runs like a dream,there is NO difference in power which was my biggest worry but no i am very very pleased i hardly ever run it on petrol ,it cost $2700.00 to fit and then $2000 back from the goverment,the brand is empco or something like that,and the man who fitted it had 30 years experience and he liked this brand the best, now when u turn it back to petrol there is a difference but i can't explain what it is,i think it is smoother on gas ,i have not changed a thing,yes i put new leads on it and plugs ,but after 250,000 u do that anyway,i thought i was making a mistake ,but no very happy

DavoVP

Reaction score
yeah gas is good if its set up and tuned properly, But it does require maintenece etc and all that.

LoL if you have a weak ignition system or its outa tune, you will detonate air boxes, trust me :p

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
would have been impco and from experience thats one of the most annoying brands for faults with the gas convertor