Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 engine problems

mikewilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S1 5.7
just about a year ago i purchased a 2000 vx calais v8, awesome car. Recently i have started having problems with it, the alternator crapped out after 115000ks so i got it replaced sine then the new one has blowen up again within 5000ks. it now has terrible piston slap ever since the idiots that serviced it put mineral oil in it after strict instructions to use full synthetic, not to mention it now uses a liter of oil every 5000ks, compared to last serviced it only used 1L every 10,000ks:(

could the change of oil types have done this?

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Are you sure it's piston slap?

mikewilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S1 5.7
100% i just found out that is had an engine rebuild at 20,000ks for the same problem.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have had my VX SS from new and it has had both Synthetic and Semi Synthetic oil in it and there has been no difference in noise, if any thing maybe a tad quiter with the Semi Synthetic,
might be more to do with viscosity of the oil they have used, check what it had in it before and what is in it now. They do tend to be a bit on the noisy side when cold, as long as it quietens down when up to temp I wouldn't worry too much. It might not be piston slap it may be lifters. What oil have they put in it 10w30, 10w40, 15w40, 20w50?

bricat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Calais 5.7 A4
I have used fully synthetic then swapped to Fuchs mineral oil when I found out one of the after market hot up business was using mineral oil, specifically Fuchs. Have changed back to Penrite full synthetic. Purchased car with 44000ks now has 144000 ks I do have a very noisy tappet which you can hear only when idling. So I don't think the oil will cause that much damage but it might not help if the engine is partly buggered, if you know what I mean. I change oil every 5000 ks and motor has been tweaked and still runs sweet(touch wood) cheers Brian

94CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 HSV CLUBSPORT NO.356
just about a year ago i purchased a 2000 vx calais v8, awesome car. Recently i have started having problems with it, the alternator crapped out after 115000ks so i got it replaced sine then the new one has blowen up again within 5000ks. it now has terrible piston slap ever since the idiots that serviced it put mineral oil in it after strict instructions to use full synthetic, not to mention it now uses a liter of oil every 5000ks, compared to last serviced it only used 1L every 10,000ks:(

could the change of oil types have done this?
its most probably b not piston slap but lifters mate,you have to get the right oil in that LS1,there fussy motors when it comes to the oil there running on,i just did my LS1 a oil change and used valvoline synpower 5W/40 with a 100ml of pro-ma MBL8 mixed well into the oil before putting it in your motor and it whisper quite,best its ever been,all you can here now is the injectors,no clacking on warm like it use to even though it was hardly noticable but i'm just real fussy bastard,try it you will like it,i will never use any other oil now period.

mikewilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S1 5.7
sweet thanks for your help. im pretty fussy when it comes to my car being right too, thats why i want it right and not knocking and waking up the neighbor hood every morning :p
would the change of oil viscosity reduce the amount of oil it is using?

94CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 HSV CLUBSPORT NO.356
get that synpower oil and the pro-ma into it ASAP,the pro-ma is good for roller lifters also,its a oil treatment the best you can get,let us know how it goes.