Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 engine problems

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
im interested with what this pro-ma stuff is, im assuming its just an additive? ive never heard of it before

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
if it is the lifters what would be a fix for that? re tighten them? or after market?

mikewilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S1 5.7
depends i guess, im no mechanic but if it is your lifters you could try the pro-ma, from all the positive reviews and all the recommendations i have view or received it seems to do your engine a world of good

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
Get that 10w30 out of it soon. Mainline is the best oil but is out of the budget of the average user, get some Castrol Edge 10w60. And no it's not too heavy of a grade for your LS1. It is still a 10w grade on startup with the 60 grade for when you’re working it hard; it’s that film strength when you running hard that can save your engine. It will make a huge difference to your LS1 noises.

Also I would not start adding any of those snake oil additives to a good oil base. A good oil already has compatible additives in it; can you guarantee that additive is 100% compatible with your oil and not cause sludge?

And to answer you original question, yes a change of oils can cause the issues. And a higher film strength will help minimise oil usage, so I think you would see a good change in it.

QldKev

mikewilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S1 5.7
just got full synthetic nulon 10w-40 put in, goes extremely well, very happy. still knocks abit though :(

94CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 HSV CLUBSPORT NO.356
pro-ma is no "snake oil "mate,i would never put any old crap in my engine,it has been recommended by engine reconditioners as it gives the oil more quality additives that the oil companys would ever put in,for a oil company to put in additives like that would make it cost prohibitive for the oil company to produce,also MBL8 keeps varnish of the roller lifters,thats why some ls1's have clacky lifters mostly until warmed up as they will more than likely have a bit of **** in them namely varnish,its just a top quality oil additive best out there,i,m using it its mint.

94CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 HSV CLUBSPORT NO.356
just got full synthetic nulon 10w-40 put in, goes extremely well, very happy. still knocks abit though :(
because you didn't put the pro-ma in did you?don't listen to the posters that haven't used it and wouldn't know **** about it!!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Get that 10w30 out of it soon. Mainline is the best oil but is out of the budget of the average user, get some Castrol Edge 10w60. And no it's not too heavy of a grade for your LS1. It is still a 10w grade on startup with the 60 grade for when you’re working it hard; it’s that film strength when you running hard that can save your engine. It will make a huge difference to your LS1 noises.

Also I would not start adding any of those snake oil additives to a good oil base. A good oil already has compatible additives in it; can you guarantee that additive is 100% compatible with your oil and not cause sludge?

And to answer you original question, yes a change of oils can cause the issues. And a higher film strength will help minimise oil usage, so I think you would see a good change in it.

QldKev

Have run 10/30 in mine all its life, now has 160,000kms on it and runs quiet as a mouse even on cold start and still belts out 315rwhp with MAF tune and catback only.

mikewilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S1 5.7
thats pretty reasonable, think im going to wack a set of headers on it and maybe a otr with the MAF, then get it tunned up. only problem it costs so much in Christchurch due to only one place being able to do it