Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Throttle Body on 304

GunnVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 5L Project
Hi guys,
I heard you can fit an LS1 throttle body onto a 304. Is this a fairly straight forward swap? Will I need the LS1 MAF meter to go with it?

Thanks!

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
It is not a "bolt on" job.

Cheers
Mat

GunnVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 5L Project
Would you care to explain how hard it is to put on?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
The throttle body mounting stud arrangement is totally different between the two. Also the 5litre tb has 2 studs whereas the ls1 has 4. You're going to need to make up an adaptor plate that suits the ls1 tb mating face on one side, and the 5litre manifold on the other. This adaptor plate would also have to be internally tapered to suit the bore size of tb down to the inlet manifold, otherwise your inlet air charge will be like hitting a wall ubstruction. Better though would be to enlarge and port manifold to suit but this would require its removal. You may also need to customise the throttle cable holder and linkage on the ls1 tb.
No you wont need to use the ls1 maf sensor. You can, but its not necessary. This is because any increase in inlet air charge flow you may gain will still be within the scale of the stock 5litre maf.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Why would you bother any way.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Also the 5litre tb has 2 studs whereas the ls1 has 4.

LS1 is 3 bolt
LS2onwards 4 bolt

See Mace about there 70mm throttle for V8

GunnVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 5L Project
Thanks for the help. I was just told it was possible to run then but didn't realise how much work is involved. Would the gains be worth the effort of making it fit?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Thanks for the help. I was just told it was possible to run then but didn't realise how much work is involved. Would the gains be worth the effort of making it fit?

Youre better off looking for a ported 304 TB if you are looking at changing it. However, gains are usually pretty small. You are going to be bottle necked somewhere, changing the TB moves the bottleneck down the line. I know on the LS1 changing the TB is usually a waste unless you change the manifold because that diameter remains the same. Im not sure how it works on the 304, but I would imagine its very similar.

VQ-Assault

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VQII Statesman
It may make some difference but due to the low 500cfm ish nature of the stock manifold it won't do much. Even with the Mace throttle body kits out there and their reconfigured stock manifold they're not worth it either. A Harrop dual plane with a decent 1000cfm throttle body on should do fine- bit more stuffing around but

GunnVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 5L Project
Ok thanks for the help and info! I might just give the stock one a tidy up till I can get enough $$$ for a decent one.