Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Valley Gasket Leak

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
I have a 1999 VT LS1 and noticed it has been leaking oil. So far I have had ultratune do the rear main and the rocker cover gasket. I have noticed it was still leaking so as Ultratune suggested I changed the Valley Cover gasket. While I changed the valley agsket I also changed the knock sensors and the intake manifold gaskets. I torqued everything back to spec and cleaned all the surfaces till they were spotless and realised its still leaking. I looked under the car and its got drips at the mating service between the bell-housing and the motor? would there be something else causing the leak?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Oil pressure sensor? It's at the back of the inlet manifold and the oil stains can look like a rocker cover or rear main leak.

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
Did they replace just the seal or the plate/seal?
I've seen the gasket behind the plate leak as well.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I would be looking at the rear main seal again, from what I have read it is not as straight forward in doing as on some cars. You really need some one who knows how to do them, it is recommended that the seal and plate are change as a unit. Think there may be a special tool required as well to centre the assembly. Ultratune may have botched the job.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sump gasket?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
+1 for oil pressure sensor. Use a mirror mounted on a flexible shaft and a torch to look at the rear passenger side of the engine near the firewall. Remove the passenger side engine cover first. You will be able to see whether the oil pressure sensor or the camshaft sensor are leaking. Oil pressure sensor leak is quite common and easy to fix - pull out - apply sealant - replace. Needs a 27mm deep socket from memory.