Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ls2 6 speed into my Vs 5.0 5speed

tmdestruction

VZ SS ON SUPERSPORT 20'z
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Commodore
ive just put a 5.7 auto into my vp ute. did it all myself. bout a damaged vu ss with 90,000 k's for 6k. bout the kit from castlemaine for bit over 2k. used the v6 radiator and everyhtin. no probs with overheating. did the wiring myself. just had to get the code taken out of the computer. its a pretty straight forward job. insane to drive. lol. just gotta work out how to hook my speedo up now.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Is it still practical as a street car? I'm seriously considering the LS1 manual conversion into my VN daily driver over the next couple of years.

Sam

Why wouldnt it be practical? Its still only a 225kw setup untuned.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Power wise it's perfectly ok but things can change when you add a given shell into the equation. VN shell is heaps lighter, that's my only worry - whether a bolt-on LS1 with a six speed will be too much for an old lighter shell. I think it will be fun :)

Sam

benjamino

needing some more undies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6spd + 7psi
hey guys,
sorta on the same topic here,,
ive got a vx, ------->http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-vu-wh-v2/78428-benjaminos-vx-exec-let-us-no-what-u-think.html<------

i was really considering working the engine, possibly a turbo setup etc,,
until i realised that it would be about 12k to do a full turbo setup.
and in the end,
a v6 is a v6.
ssoooo, ive got a mate who can get me a brand new ls2,with a 6spd,(cost price), fully fitted(free labour), for about 4k.
so im pretty sure as soon as im full time working again, ill be taking this up as a project:thumbsup:

would there be any major problems or points of interest that i would need to know if i was going to take this up?
would it actually fit?
etc.
etc.
i know id need new brakes, and a new diff, but the engine comes with all pumps bits n pieces etc, ready to unplug, then plug in.

and rvn,

ownnnned.:rofl:

appreciate any help guys.
cheers

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VX install would be **** easy. Same externally as a 5.7L LS1 which came out in VXs obviously.. it'll fit straight in just swap over engine mounts and whatever else for the factory VX LS1 stuff.

benjamino

needing some more undies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6spd + 7psi
cool cool, yeh thats what i was told that th swap is pretty easy.
luckily ive got someone that can do it for me,
im not confident enough to do an engine conversion.
i cant even get the accelerator pedal off:bang:
so yehh the ls2 will fit in the bay?
and also i think ill need a new exhaust, will my existing 2.5" catback work?
ill jst have to buy ceramic pacemaker4into1's?:D

sorry to steal ur thred vsls2.
lol

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
putting a LS2 into a VX is not as easy as they have made out to be... sure mechanically (physically ) it is easy to put in as a LS2 is virtually a LS1 but the electrical side is another kettle of fish.

LS2 has Flyby wire throttle setup - are you going to keep this or go cable. then next problem is whether to determine if it is an early or late LS2 to then figure out what ECU will run it. The problems with all these is that you need to try and get the dash to work as it runs off serial data.

Thats just a few problems you will be faced with.

so just be careful and research or at least find somone who can do all this or definately point you in the right direction before handing over some of your hard earned folding stuff and then realise it is a much bigger job that first thought.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
meh this thread was abandoned anyway...

Yes it'll fit into the bay, however I was assuming you already had the wiring side of things sorted or someone lined up to do it for you. As doubledip mentioned there's a bit of work involved there.

benjamino

needing some more undies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6spd + 7psi
LS2 has Flyby wire throttle setup - are you going to keep this or go cable.

see i dont even know what a flybywire is. i know its got something to do with throttle body and whatnot.
but im still learning.
haha