Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Lifter noise or Piston Slap?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I had the car tuned back in 2018. But the noise didnt start until about a year and a half later.
piston slap should be there from the beginning it dosnt just gain gap and start unless something has gone wrong ( gudgeon pin or something ) u will need to take a rocker off to check for play they are under preload at base circle, most do have play its just the stock bearings, going to the trinion upgrade bronze bush fixes the play

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I've had a loose spark plug twice that caused a similar sort of sound. Have you checked them all?

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
I've had a loose spark plug twice that caused a similar sort of sound. Have you checked them all?
I wish, dealership checked it out and it's definitely p/slap, loose s/plugs twice, how did that happen, you or the dealership?
Lucky you got it sorted before it
stripped the threads in the head.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Once compliments of the Holden assembly line and once me.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
piston slap should be there from the beginning it dosnt just gain gap and start unless something has gone wrong ( gudgeon pin or something ) u will need to take a rocker off to check for play they are under preload at base circle, most do have play its just the stock bearings, going to the trinion upgrade bronze bush fixes the play
Ive done the trunion upgrade. You can see the bronze bushes in the photo. There is preload on each, because theres no up and down play.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Ive done the trunion upgrade. You can see the bronze bushes in the photo. There is preload on each, because theres no up and down play.
have u checked preload after the trunnion upgrade still within spec ?

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
I'm not sure about @IBLOWN but with mine if you bring the revs up to around 1200 - 1500 at idle my noise goes away. Same if you drive it slowly soon after cold start it goes away then comes back when you lift off the accelerator. By normal operating temps noise is completely gone.
Had injector failure in i think mid 2020 and all injectors replaced by the dealer and currently only serviced by Holden.
How is your court case going in your other thread regarding your noise?
Re our case - yes getting near the end - no-one could ever believe how ACL becomes all about evidence non-disclosure and how problematic evidence can be blocked by the powerful manufacturer that ultimately is responsible for paying Dealers for repairs - bullying seen applies to treatment of both Owners and Dealers. SHAME on a business culture where the Manufacturer attempts to over-ride Consumer Guarantee under Australian Consumer Law by controlling the Dealers accountable under ACL!!! It gets down to a situation where under ACL the owner is fighting a powerful, well resourced and experienced respondent that controls its Dealers and evidence. So much BS and deception which includes GMANZ blocking diagnostics of my vehicle under 'GM proprietary information' label, blocking fault diagnosis made by two Holden Dealers. The BS claim of 'Normal and Characteristic, as designed' (what is GM protecting, other manufacturers building engines that will make this cold start noise?) - will certainly be an interesting hearing. We expect to soon see if BS prevails over ACL or if truth is recognised and acted on. There is much more happening than just this case - while a huge amount of work has been also done 'in the publics interest', we hope that will help other VF2 / LS3 owners in the future and maybe an overall review of the current deficiencies within ACL.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Re our case - yes getting near the end - no-one could ever believe how ACL becomes all about evidence non-disclosure and how problematic evidence can be blocked by the powerful manufacturer that ultimately is responsible for paying Dealers for repairs - bullying seen applies to treatment of both Owners and Dealers. SHAME on a business culture where the Manufacturer attempts to over-ride Consumer Guarantee under Australian Consumer Law by controlling the Dealers accountable under ACL!!! It gets down to a situation where under ACL the owner is fighting a powerful, well resourced and experienced respondent that controls its Dealers and evidence. So much BS and deception which includes GMANZ blocking diagnostics of my vehicle under 'GM proprietary information' label, blocking fault diagnosis made by two Holden Dealers. The BS claim of 'Normal and Characteristic, as designed' (what is GM protecting, other manufacturers building engines that will make this cold start noise?) - will certainly be an interesting hearing. We expect to soon see if BS prevails over ACL or if truth is recognised and acted on. There is much more happening than just this case - while a huge amount of work has been also done 'in the publics interest', we hope that will help other VF2 / LS3 owners in the future and maybe an overall review of the current deficiencies within ACL.
It‘s almost worth a flight to attend the proceedings :)

Sadly, this highlights the problem with ACL from a consumer perspective. It assumes good faith and only handles repair and consequential costs. There are no provision for any purchaser to claim punitive damage to force retailers/manufacturers to feel any pain for their calculated, purposeful and deceitful methods :confused:

The absurdity comes in yne shape of court enforceable undertakings where they promise not to be shitbags for a couple of years… then revert to their old ways.

Sadly consumers are being forced into court action for stuff that is obviously a product failure to simply get access to the warranty that our laws provides. This is the case even when it’s an obvious failure. Through causing such pain, there should be some comeback for the agreved purchaser, but there isn’t in law…

As is, I‘m worried that ACL, if amended, will be somewhat watered down to better suit sellers of crap… Consumers will be shafted yet again.

Good luck with it all and keep us updates when you can :cool:

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
I have a similar noise which seems to have become a bit louder since the colder weather. Like IBLOWN it only does it on cold start and is loud until it nears the normal temp then slowly disappears. I took it to a mechanic today and he said its new cam and lifters $2000 - $3000 and if i keep driving it could ruin the whole engine. He said take it to an engine builder not Holden. I really can't afford this right now as i don't have a job and need my car for interviews. Could this be piston slap or really something worse??

Forgot to mention if you drive off shortly after you start it and go really slow the noise stops then comes back as you lift off the accelerator.
Sounds identical to my LS1 which needed lifters. Rattle on start up, same tick that went away after a few mins. The tick used to come back when I was on the free way at a constant speed/revs for an extended time. Piston slap is a very different sound in my experience.