Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LSD or Truetrac for diff 3.9 gears. Advise please.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
So dropped of the car this morning.
Brand new GM 3:9 M80 gears with a LSD & full rebuild.

Iv read that you can tighten the LSD or something along those lines, what does this mean.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of having it tight?

Over time LSD's arn't as "tight" as they were when first fitted so they get a bit sloppy and sometimes both wheels don't spin etc , re tightening pretty much means fixing it

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
ive got a LSD. lasted a year before she said no more loops.

id go trutrac. but then again for the amount of money id rather just get a spool

least i know i wont break it... ill just break everything else haha

CAPRILICIOUS WL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL CAPRICE
ive got a LSD. lasted a year before she said no more loops.

id go trutrac. but then again for the amount of money id rather just get a spool

least i know i wont break it... ill just break everything else haha

I thought I'd go with the LSD this time n try my luck, I don't burn rubber or any of that sort so was told I should be good with an LSD. :)

Does it wear out with just normal driving thou?

jakstas

Auto Elec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 M6
Your LSD will be fine mate. Im punching well over 1400nm of torque through my Trutrac. By the sounds of it, your LSD is the perfect choice for your car, and driving style! Enjoy it, and report back on it in a month or so!

CAPRILICIOUS WL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL CAPRICE
Your LSD will be fine mate. Im punching well over 1400nm of torque through my Trutrac. By the sounds of it, your LSD is the perfect choice for your car, and driving style! Enjoy it, and report back on it in a month or so!

Pheww...Words of comfort is always the best :D lol
Shall do.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
I thought I'd go with the LSD this time n try my luck, I don't burn rubber or any of that sort so was told I should be good with an LSD. :)

Does it wear out with just normal driving thou?

If your diff isn't chattering around corners right now when it heats up (does it for a while while it's new), it isn't tightened with extra shims put in like mine was.

Normal driving it wont, it wears from cornering hard as it pushes the cups away from eachother and keeps forcing them, so overtime will deteriorate.

Basically, sliding = no Damage, fast cornering = damage lol.

Also if you spin the wheels and only 1 wheel spins, let off and start again (like if you're doing a skidpan or being a dick etc) as reving more may start the 2nd one up, but still pushes the cups and forces it until the other wheel spins.

CAPRILICIOUS WL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL CAPRICE
If your diff isn't chattering around corners right now when it heats up (does it for a while while it's new), it isn't tightened with extra shims put in like mine was.

Normal driving it wont, it wears from cornering hard as it pushes the cups away from eachother and keeps forcing them, so overtime will deteriorate.

Basically, sliding = no Damage, fast cornering = damage lol.

Also if you spin the wheels and only 1 wheel spins, let off and start again (like if you're doing a skidpan or being a dick etc) as reving more may start the 2nd one up, but still pushes the cups and forces it until the other wheel spins.

Hmm can't wait to see what it feels like when I go for the test drive tmrw. :)

But there is certainly non of this sliding, burnouts or hard cornering. Lol

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Lol fair enough, but even if u take off fast and only one wheel chirps etc. I love stalling it up and it goes a little sideways on take off. That being said, it's gotta be somewhere no-one is when u test it otherwise you can flick out and hit the car next to you :0