Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LSD question?

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
Can some one please explain to me how my LSD works on my rodeo..
The other day i was driving over an wide ditch, my rear left came off the ground and i lost
all traction (it just spun), because of the LSD isnt my rear right ment to then drive the car?
Am i ment to brake or something and let the rear right engage?
Apologising for the ignorance.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
It sounds to me like you don't have an LSD.

LSD's limity the slip between the 2 wheels they are driving. They do this by detecting slip and transferring torque to the other wheel. If both wheels slip equally then it splits the drive equally between the wheels.

They are always enaged, you cant turn them off. So if one rear wheel is spinng, I'd suggest you don't have an LSD.

VK_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V6
LSD just has less slip that a regular diff so the wheels can go in opposite directions to each other around corners, but still remain locked.
Not exactly, they are a torque transfer device - it requires one wheel to slip _before_ it drives the other, there is no locking action.

HoldrodeoLT

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's strange because LSD is standard on my make..
Is there a away i can test.. to be sure??
And if its was broken wouldnt it causing other problems, problems that may be audible... my rear diff is silent.

HoldrodeoLT

Reaction score
Members Ride
just read abit on the link, (if my LSD is a Clutch-type), If one wheel wants to spin faster than the other, it must first overpower the clutch. The stiffness of the springs combined with the friction of the clutch determine how much torque it takes to overpower it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I could be wrong with this - I'm sure someone will put me right very quickly if I am.

Jack both rear wheels clear of the ground. Spin one by hand and look at which way the other wheel is spinning. If it spins in the same direction, you have an LSD, if it spins in the opposite direction, you don't.

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
I could be wrong with this - I'm sure someone will put me right very quickly if I am.

Jack both rear wheels clear of the ground. Spin one by hand and look at which way the other wheel is spinning. If it spins in the same direction, you have an LSD, if it spins in the opposite direction, you don't.

Yep that is correct.

VK_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V6
If one wheel wants to spin faster than the other, it must first overpower the clutch.
Actually it should operate reverse to that - once one wheel begins to spin faster than the other, the clutch will engage and transfer drive to the other wheel.