Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LT4 VE Conversion - Throwing It Out There

HSViCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 HSVi Calais 6.0
Hoping someone with conversion knowledge might be able to chime in here.

I've been eyeing off a turbocharged application for my series 1 VE. Cost wise, all said and done will be approximately 15K start to finish, with fabrication/welding done at home.

I noticed the Americans are now selling LT4 crate engines - 650HP out of the box, huge CFM flowing heads, improved lifters, factory supercharger, the list of tricks goes on. Price wise, the cost after conversion from AUD to USD is about the same as a turbocharged motor plug supporting mods. I'd expect that some of the accessories such as PS/Water pumps/thermostat and A/C would bolt on from my existing V8 onto the LT4 as they're both GM small blocks. I'd need to upgrade the fuel system for direct injection, and possibly upgrade the rear diff.

My question would be, can an engine of this type be plugged into the existing BCM/PCM that's already running the car (L98) or would a custom controller and engine loom be required? I'd also be keen to know how this affects general vehicle operation, such as dash cluster, error codes, auto transmission programming etc.

Anyone considered or tried this before?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
looks like the LT4 has direct injection which would be a PITA to try and set up if u dont have it and totally different ecu needed to control it, ud be better of getting an LSA engine or just doing up yours

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u want to swap to an engine u can use with your ecu it needs to be port injected

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I've just been reading up on this and everybody says the Gen V engines (LT1 & LT4) are not a straight swap like the Gen III (LS1) and Gen IV (LS3 etc) were, even the bellhousing pattern is different as they had to move the upper bolt hole to make room for the DI fuel pump drive...

GM-LT1_Valley.jpg

The front drive accessories apparently won't bolt up either, the Gen V engines are said to have no bracketry available to mount a (hydraulic) power steering pump because all the latest Corvettes and Camaros have the electric assist steering, notice how even the water pump configuration is completely different...

genV8.jpg

The sumps are not interchangeable either and it looks like nobody is making conversion sumps yet, even the exhaust flanges (where the headers bolt up to the engine) are a different pattern so you're up for custom headers as well?

I've read that the same EFI fuel system will be good enough to supply the mechanical DI pump on the Gen V, but the wiring harness is completely different, however the same ECU can be "reflashed" to run the newer engines?

All of this info came from the LS1 forums so treat it like you would any other "free advice", but it sounds like you'll be a pioneer with most of the gear needed, so be prepared to do a lot of customising because it sounds like there isn't too much gear to be bought 'off the shelf' conversion-wise?

Andrew

HSViCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 HSVi Calais 6.0
Seems like if I went down this path I'd be looking at a minimum of:

Custom bellhousing for the 6L80E
Electric steering conversion from a VF commodore
Custom exhaust
Complete wiring harness
Corvette Water pump
Corvette A/C unit
Redesigned fuel delivery system which looks like a semi-return-less configuration

I don't have much experience with the ECU configuration in these cars as there isn't a "single" ECU like there is for say a Japanese car where you could plug in a Haltech and get started. I notice you can buy one of these computer and wiring kits: LT1 6.2L Engine Controller Kit 19303137 Chevrolet Performance

I'm keen to know if the other parts of the car will still function, like doors unlocking and dash cluster, factory ignition and immobilizer

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
I am by no means an expert but I believe all the other functions (security system, dash, etc.) are handled by the BCM, so you would need to get the current BCM to communicate with the new ECU to start/run/stop the motor, everything else should continue to work as before?

Slightly off-topic here, but is it even possible to convert a VF electric assist steering rack to an earlier car? Assuming you can changeover everything needed to make it physically fit (K-member, steering rack, steering column, front suspension?), is the rack self-controlled with a built-in module or does it need to be connected to an appropriate BCM?

Andrew

HSViCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 HSVi Calais 6.0
I've reached out to Haltech to see what they can do, as they offer a CANBUS adapter for their elite series ECU's.

In effect, I'd need a product that could:

Control the BCM, PCM, TCM as well as the LT4 motor
Control cruise control and e-throttle

I'm hoping that Haltech have something in their arsenal that can make this project more feasible - will let you know.

For the steering arrangement, no reason i couldn't go to pick'n'payless, find a wrecked VF and grab everything needed. The chassis are the same between the VE and VF but no doubt a LOT of equipment would need to be replaced. Steering column, wheel, rack, electric motor + wiring, tie rods, hubs, front axles etc etc.

HSViCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 HSVi Calais 6.0
Not to mention if the bell-housing is different, might look at putting in either a manual or the Corvette 8SP transmission which the LT4 was designed for.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
You would save yourself a heap of trouble if you just bought a supercharged 6.2L LSA crate motor for a HSV, not quite as much power as an LT4 but quite a bit cheaper and pretty much everything except the wiring and ECU is a straight swap.

Andrew