Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE Enclosed CAI(Pod) general concesus?

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Yeah I don't know about the Yella Terra one, I mean it's just a big pipe with a logo on it and you have to cut your airbox to fit right? It's also quite high in price from memory. The enclosed Pod CAI seems like the better option but also a rip off in my opinion.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Yes, i couldn't see them being worth $220. Or $260 for the clear lid even. Hell, i did my cheap one for less than $10 and it did improve my car's fuel economy when driving right, as well as getting more power [and more fuel usage] when flooring it, even with the stock air filter. When i change over the air filter i'm hoping i'll notice a little bit more too! :)

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais L67
They are expensive new, either get one second hand for dirt cheap, or just make one yourself. I payed $50 for the YT pipe and an already cut airbox.. it's a basic design, but it works well.

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
I installed one of these MACE POD enclosures on my VY II S (S/C - L67). After doing a bit of research, I was quite skeptical about the benefits.

After a pretty clean 20 minute installation, I took my car for a test drive. I immediately noticed a louder whine under heavy acceleration, and of course the highly praised induction noise coming from the POD. The power gain isn't significant, but definitely noticeable - a lot more low - mid range power.

Given the price of the kit, I truly don't think it's worth the money. All you really get is a plastic enclosure, pod filter, a bit of ducting, and a bracket + some screws for installation. My advice is to put together one yourself, and not to use the POD filter that comes with the kit - it's a rather cheapish unit. I'm planning to get myself a K&N one shortly (as soon as the bank account tips in my favour :D )

I can give you some pics of it installed in my VY if you like.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
i have a k & n panel filter with home made pvc intake and i notice a bit more off the line, but really notice the power difference above 130 as stock ecotecs usually die after this speed hey??

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
I installed one of these MACE POD enclosures on my VY II S (S/C - L67). After doing a bit of research, I was quite skeptical about the benefits.

After a pretty clean 20 minute installation, I took my car for a test drive. I immediately noticed a louder whine under heavy acceleration, and of course the highly praised induction noise coming from the POD. The power gain isn't significant, but definitely noticeable - a lot more low - mid range power.

Given the price of the kit, I truly don't think it's worth the money. All you really get is a plastic enclosure, pod filter, a bit of ducting, and a bracket + some screws for installation. My advice is to put together one yourself, and not to use the POD filter that comes with the kit - it's a rather cheapish unit. I'm planning to get myself a K&N one shortly (as soon as the bank account tips in my favour :D )

Yeah, that's what I would have thought. Question on the noise, is the whine lounder due to more cold air induction or is it simply lounder just because theres a pod there and hence the sucking induction noise is what gives off the impression?

MACE

Reaction score

Hey jameswh,

Thanks for your constructive feedback about our product. I’m glad to hear the installation whet smoothly.

In regards to valve for money, I understand where you’re coming from however development time for someone to make a similar box from scratch that fits as well and looks as factory like would take quite sometime. Not that we don’t encourage enthusiasts to make their own parts because we certainly do :D

This was a very important design aspect that we highly took into consideration when making this air box (all of our air boxes in fact), which is why this box has many difficult bends in it (read expensive) to get the right look ;)

We could have simplified the bends (which we may be doing) or make the box from a cheaper material such as mild steel or thinner material to keep prices down, however the box probably wouldn’t have looked as good, been as easy to install or perform as well.

The main reason we chose the SAAS filter we use in our kits is that they can be run oil less. What this means is that you don’t end up with oil residue from the filter onto the MAF, causing the mixtures to progressively lean (dangerously lean?) out the more oil from the filter ends up on the MAF. Once just by cleaning a dirty MAF on a V6 we picked up around 12kw at the rears! So no I’m not a fan oil impregnated filters (such as K&N filters) on cars that run hot wire MAF’s

Once again thanks for taking the time to write your constructive feedback about the product as it’s information like that that’s critical for us in future developments.

Cheers
Steve

MACE

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I would have thought. Question on the noise, is the whine lounder due to more cold air induction or is it simply lounder just because theres a pod there and hence the sucking induction noise is what gives off the impression?

You'll probably find that it's due to both ;)

Cheers
Steve