Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MAF modification

vt_II_senator_sig

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II HSV Senator Signature
Hi all,
I had heard the the Maf that are on the ls1 are from the American market, and the reason for the honeycomb flutes inside are due to the fact that their maf is located next to their throttle body, so the flutes make sure that the air is flowing straight through the throttle body and not at an angle to it... Since our maf is midway between the throttle body and the airbox, i have heard that if you carefully remove the honeycomb without damaging the sensor, you increase the airflow which in turn can create a power gain.
It sounds like a cheap and easy way to make a power gain... if its true and not complete rubbish.
I was wondering if anyone knows the truth?

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
why mess around with a ultra-restrictive maf sensor? stuff all gains to be made pulling the honeycomb bit out. mafless tune is the first thing to do for real gains.

KiWi1

11.00@126 Miss dat ****
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dead 11sec VX SS, Defected VP Ute
Or............................

If you wanted to keep your MAF for reasons apart from extra tuning and power, or cause ppl tell u to remove it. Yes, removing the MAF mesh, and maybe a slight honing, can gain a few KW's

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Or............................

If you wanted to keep your MAF for reasons apart from extra tuning and power, or cause ppl tell u to remove it. Yes, removing the MAF mesh, and maybe a slight honing, can gain a few KW's

Do not pull out the screen as it will make the maf inaccurate. The screen is there to promote laminar flow over the wire element.
You would be better off putting it in the bin after a tuner has done his work.:whistling

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
Hi all,
I had heard the the Maf that are on the ls1 are from the American market, and the reason for the honeycomb flutes inside are due to the fact that their maf is located next to their throttle body, so the flutes make sure that the air is flowing straight through the throttle body and not at an angle to it... Since our maf is midway between the throttle body and the airbox, i have heard that if you carefully remove the honeycomb without damaging the sensor, you increase the airflow which in turn can create a power gain.
It sounds like a cheap and easy way to make a power gain... if its true and not complete rubbish.
I was wondering if anyone knows the truth?

that is false
if you want to retain the maf
get a mafless tune and bore the **** out if it and pull the guts out
so it looks factory but it isnt really doing anything

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
****ing with the MAF will cause severe problems , especially with an A4 car

ricecooker

Reaction score