Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Maf tune vs Mafless tune

Senator Slash

Slashman
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII HSV Signature Senator
Hi,

I thought I would post my experience today with a call to a dyno tuner.

I asked how much for a dyno tune and he said $1100. I asked if that is a mafless tune and he said yes and then he asked why a mafless tune specifically. I said well you get more power and he said its not much in it only about 5kw.

So I thought does this guy know what he is doing with the LSX motor tuning. He uses vcm tune not EfiLive and I just wasnt convinced.

He said that regardless of what you read on the net, the tune with a maf is better because you get better fuel economy and its only a difference of 5kw.

It makes sense to me about the screen in the maf being a restriction and the slight delay int he maf signal getting to the PCM but I mean it sounded more like he didnt know how to mafless tune.

I have read the pros and cons between the two and I must say in alot of the jappas they never go for a map sensor they always get great results from a maf tune.

Is it possibly just a bug to bear for the Holden OBDII Pcm?

Thoughts?

Cheers.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
BS on the economy. The rest sounds about right.
I dont know if it is in the way VCM suite teach there tuners, but the shop we have up here that uses their gear always want to tune with a maf. Since we dont have the overzealous cops pulling us over up here to defect an OTRCAI I dont see why.

Senator Slash

Slashman
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think ill stay well away from him. There is a really good place in Auckland called Protune that have had great reviews.

I think it must be like you say about the vcm suite. Everyone else does mafless.

Cheers.

wpr

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV AVALANCHE WAGON VYII
LS1 Edit

Hi, you might also like to try Torque Performance out in Avondale or Eastern Automotive in East Tamaki. Ebbetts in Hamilton are also agents for PWR Performance products as well as Tom Walkinshaw Racing. It all depends on the $$ you can afford to spend.

Senator Slash

Slashman
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey, yeah I have been to Robyn before for other cars in Avondale I didnt know about Ebbets though, I got the car through them so they should hook us up!

Yeah $$$ is always the problem aye.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
C&M tell you about sticking with the MAF?

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Sale special on shovels at Bunnings this week??????????????:boxing:

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I am aware of the age of this thread, but it is relevant to my current situation, so rather than being told to use the ####ing search function by half of the members I chose to do this on my own, and risk the thread dig.... dig.