Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] major defect for rear tyres???

vn1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive series 1 v6 1989
the other day i got pulled up and defected for 2 rear tyres, and a $352 fine for having an unroad worthy car to top it off
the cop wrote on the defect that it was a major and i had to get rwc, i thought it had to be 3 or more things to need a rwc?
getting a rwc for 2 tyres seems ridiculous. i took my defect papers to the cop shop to find out if it was right or not, and the cop didnt even know what was going on, they just said to take it to a mechanic and get them to sign something saying that i have got new tyres. but can a mechanic do that?
has anyone else had stupid defects like this??
cheers jack

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Your car was unroadworthy, you were defected for it. Not understanding how this is a stupid defect?

What else was listed on the defect? Once it's a major defect, you have to get a rwc. North other way of clearing it.

vn1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
it had the usual stuff my rego, name all that. then he had ticked that i needed a rwc but he also wrote that it can be cleared at any vic roads office by the certian date, and when i got it i asked the cop if it only needed to go to vic roads and he said yes. i didnt mean it was a stupid defect i ment its stupid i have to get a rwc for 2 tyres, i also got another defect a while ago for the rear tyres aswell the cop ticked major for that to but i didnt need a rwc.. also another thing last time i got done for tyres it had written in the conditions that i cant drive in the wet and this time he left that blank so im f.cked if i know..

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I think they meant that a vicroads can perform a rwc inspection and if the vehicle passes, the defect can be cleared all in the one sitting.

Being a VN, best to take it to a mechanic for the rwc. Because once a vehicle is deemed unroadworthy, to get a rwc everything needs to be up to scratch and not just thea item in the defect notice. So any leaks, etc might be picked up.

vn1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
it only had a rwc a few moths ago and i have put more new bushes and stuff in it so it should really pass a rwc straight away but can a mechanic just sign off tyres like the cop said?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Chances are you'd be hard pressed to find a mechanic that will put their business name next to a defect notice that also has unroadworty vehicle attached to it.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
But they would only be putting their name on the fact he presented the car with new tyres on it.
Sounds like the op must drive like a tool or be doing something else to attract the cops attention. Did you get new tyres after the last defect ?

vn1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
got new ones for the front, and put the front ones on the back now i have new back ones aswell and where i live the cops always pull up every p plater its a small town so they pull up the same people over and over again

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
got new ones for the front, and put the front ones on the back now i have new back ones aswell and where i live the cops always pull up every p plater its a small town so they pull up the same people over and over again

Theres your problem then.......driving through maryborough in a VN with P plates simply screems defect.

I have a similar problem in my town where I drive home on Friday/Saturday mornings around 3AM and of course I am the only V8 on the road with a sea of early morning vans/trucks......who stands out the most to the cops...me

Unfortunately your car is a cop magnet and always will be, especially until you get off your P's

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
My mate got two cars defected in one night, was driving my brothers car around and pulled up at his house.

Got done for not having his license on him,
Brothers car got major defected for exhaust being 1.3DB over the limit. (was revving it more than he should of been) - half n hour on the road
and his car got minor defected for all 4 tyres being bald. - 48hours on the road

I mean, you can see the safety in that.