Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual drivers

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
but what is the point in down shifting? apart from putting strain on the engine/gearbox?

Putting in neutral and braking means you need to increase the force of your braking, which can lead to premature wear on the rear pads (or front, depending on car obviously).

It can also warp the brakes as well, especially when you're braking downhill in neutral.

Downshifting is better, because as you're rolling the car to a stop against its own gravity, you're not using any fuel to do this. Plus it means you're ready to go when the lights go green and not one of those absent-minded drivers who sit there clueless at lights.

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac
downshifting in a v8 gets everyone looking lol

:D uh huh.

I have to get my manual lic coz I only have auto and called the DPI to ask about this and hill starts (handbrake V clutch) and was told you have to down shift to pass. So I have been doing that.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Downshifting is the correct way to slow down. In fact, if you decide to go for your truck license you HAVE to downshift to slow down or you'll destroy your brakes.

You want to have the engine in control at all times - the clutch is only there for when you're stopped or changing gears.

If you're worried about putting strain on the gearbox/crankshaft, then blip the throttle when you're changing down gears. Practise heel-toeing at the lights to get used to doing it before you do it with people in front of you though ;).

I always downshift when coming to a stop and a lot of the time I don't even need to touch my brakes. Because I always do smooth gear changes by blipping the throttle when changing down I don't make the car lurch which most other manual drivers do because they don't know any better...

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Downshifting is the correct way to slow down. In fact, if you decide to go for your truck license you HAVE to downshift to slow down or you'll destroy your brakes.

You want to have the engine in control at all times - the clutch is only there for when you're stopped or changing gears.

If you're worried about putting strain on the gearbox/crankshaft, then blip the throttle when you're changing down gears. Practise heel-toeing at the lights to get used to doing it before you do it with people in front of you though ;).

I always downshift when coming to a stop and a lot of the time I don't even need to touch my brakes. Because I always do smooth gear changes by blipping the throttle when changing down I don't make the car lurch which most other manual drivers do because they don't know any better...

The issue with having size13 shoes is i cannot heel-toe gear changes... Its more of a toe-toe change. The Toe of my foot straddles both pedals and i brake with the left half and jab the throttle with the right half... its works but doesn't look as cool.

as with vn_luke, it comes down to lazyness... either im feeling good and i toe-toe it or im feeling lazy and i roll to a stop with the clutch in...

aZk.

Dr.304

SuperCharged StatesMan
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Statesman Supercharged
If quick braking is needed - downshift quickly then brake.
If slow easy brake is required - Into neutral and brake.

But i got over driving manual, now im driving auto. So cruisey. Im lovin it.

VY2SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2 SS
right so everyone with automatic transmissions are chewing through their brakes? that's the most stupidest thing i've heard.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I can slow down a lot faster using down shifts in my Wagon since I converted it to a manual :p

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Sometimes i downshifts but if im lazy, i wack it in neutral, then brake.

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
just chuck it in neutral and roll to a stop. theres no point in puting extra pressure on the clutch and cog-box if you're only slowing down. But on steeper downhills, I will put it in 3rd and let the engine keep the speed constant