Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual gear shifter question

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
hey people i was asked today if the HSV shifters for the manuals are different to the ssv shifter in my car? it got me thinkin ive never driven a ve HSV so i have no idea. anyone in the know? Thanks in advance

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I believe the length of the shifter is the same now, just feels to have a shorter throw - not sure on exact specs - could just be the different (read good) gearbox - TR6060 in E2+ vs T56 in non HSV V8s. Certainly a better shift in the HSVs though.

d1mebag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Ute
Between driving my Series II SS-V Redline & my boss's brand new Clubsport I can't tell any difference, shifting throw feels pretty much the same. Can definitely notice a different feel of engaging the clutch though, the TR6060 in the Clubby is smoother.

Cheers,

d1mebag

LittleMissVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
I've got no idea about all the car stuff you're talking about, but a friend has an ss which I've driven a few times. I don't notice a lot of difference in changing gears (is this what you're asking?), but like d1mebag said, my clubsport was just a lot smoother with the clutch.
Hopefully that answers some sort of question?

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
while on this topic ive got a question abou the gear stick in my 07 ss manual.. it seems to swivle and will also lift up horizontally.. it doesnt pose a problem but im wondering whether its normal or not?

LittleMissVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
while on this topic ive got a question abou the gear stick in my 07 ss manual.. it seems to swivle and will also lift up horizontally..

My gear stick in my VT used to swivel - don't know about lifting up horizontally, but was a pain in the arse sometimes when changing gears - mechanic fixed it with loctite ;)

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Shouldn't swivel or lift. Something is loose.

MissVT, do you have an E1 clubsport? If so, the gearbox is the same as in the SS. If you have an E2 or newer, you should have the TR6060 box, which is much slicker shifting, more precise and just nicer in general.

LittleMissVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
MissVT, do you have an E1 clubsport? If so, the gearbox is the same as in the SS. If you have an E2 or newer, you should have the TR6060 box, which is much slicker shifting, more precise and just nicer in general.

Is now a good time to say I don't know? (People don't stare at your screen in horror please!)